pocket chainsaws - any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoatyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Seem to get mixed reviews wondered if anyone here has got/used one?

got a big big apple tree that needs thinning easily over ten metres

if I try and do it off of ladders with a bow saw i'll die and i'm too young to die

obviously there are professionals who will do the job properly but cash is in short supply as usual

This sort of thing

http://www.pocketchainsaw.com/

TIA

Pete

got a prehensile tail? these chainsaws need two hands to operate!

I have had one for years and it has proved very handy I would never part with it. I used it only last week on a tree that was over hanging my drive the branch was about seven mtrs up and three inches thick It took seconds to cut through and I could do it standing well out of the way. Just make sure that you keep it well oiled as the links tend to seize if you don't.

David

OK cheers guys - we seem to have got into a weird zone there with the tail!

I think I might splash out then - David can you remember the make of yours by any chance?

Cheers

moppetsdad":3f1hcstd said:
I have had one for years and it has proved very handy I would never part with it. I used it only last week on a tree that was over hanging my drive the branch was about seven mtrs up and three inches thick It took seconds to cut through and I could do it standing well out of the way. Just make sure that you keep it well oiled as the links tend to seize if you don't.

David

No sorry I bought donkeys year age but it looks identical to the one you are looking at!

David

I'm hoping to avoid the ladder and saw from the ground hence the pocket chain saw - and some long rope!

The pruning saw looks good though, might get both it seems cheap enough!

cheers

whiskywill":306jsn98 said:
only needs one hand so less chance of falling of the ladder.
if needing two hands to work a saw, how would you hold on to a ladder?- a prehensile tail!

I can wholeheartedly recommend one of these (click pic):

They made two versions...a mains one and an 18V rechargeable one. The latter would be ideal for you and I got some harnesses so that you can clip yourself safely to the tree and cut the branches.

It says it will cut up to 6" but I have cut huge trunks by doing two or three strategic cuts until it falls. It worked fine as long as you don't jam it like any other chainsaw.

Jim

A mate of mine just made one.
Got a length of chain saw and fitted handles to it made out of bent wire and wood.
Worked a treat and cost hardly anything.

Latest posts

Back