Plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Right! What's the score with all this plywood?

I am wanting to build this router table, and I do not think construction ply is what people are using, as it's rough as Rat's.

I have had a quote for Birch ply (which is what most seem to use) and it is £38+VAT for a 3/4" 8x4 sheet.

An 8x4 Mahogany sheet at 3/4" is £32inc VAT.

Are there any structural reasons why the dearer Birch ply is preferred, or is it all cosmetic?

Spud,

It is generally the best quality you can get, although there are differences betwteen the various sources (Latvian, Baltic and Russian are all a bit different apparently) - I usually end up with whatever my local supplier has in stock when I order!

In general it will have more plies (typically 13 for 3/4 material) and fewer or no voids than other plywoods, one very good surface, the other may have dutchmen but no real unrepaired blemishes. It is dimensionally very good (but store it well to avoid bowing/cupping).

I use it for all structural sheet good needs except when I want pre-bought veneered stock. It is great for jigs and the like.

Birch ply is excellent stuff, I use lots. For a router table, though, I would use birch ply for the cabinet sides and a piece of MDF for the top, reason being that it's smoother and less likely to scratch any of your components, also better able to absorb vibration
John

Thanks you two. Well it is not more expensive just for cosmetic reasons then, although I do think it is expensive. I do not know what others are paying for it in their area.

What can be used as a finish for Birch ply, I mean do/can you seal it, or stain it and the like, or do you just leave it as it is?

Spud..

there's one vital aspect that makes the likes of baltic birch beat the cheap suff hands down with.... accuracy.... you order 12mm.... you get 12.0mm... the cheap stuff can be out by as much as 1.5mm... it's excellent stuff to work with too..

As for finish, I reckon it'd take to just about anything you'd wanna use; it's a bit on the blonde side so personally I'd use something to bring out some contrast in the grain...

Back