plywood......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
hey,
whilst watching norm i often see that he uses some sort of plywood, often oak, beech and some other stuff!
is this any good, cos it looks a bit, err tatty! does it look like the real thing or not? and of course, is it expensive?

Thanks

Tom

You can buy specific hardwood veneered plywoods from any timber yard. I use Travis Perkins. Instead of the usual veneer, they use oak or sapelle and many others. It's a real wood veneer so it looks like real wood! But it's not the same as a solid wood board jointed out of planks!
It's main use is for the backs of cupboards/cabinets to match the main wood of the rest of the project.
Cost is usually quite high compared to regular plywood, but much cheaper than solid hardwood.
Also available is a pine veneered plywood which can be a useful substitute if you need to make up stable pine "panels".

A

Oak veneered PLY 18mm your looking at around £60-80. MDF with oak veneer would be around £50.

THe positive points are that it works out cheaper than making it with real wood and also it will be much more stable.

Negative points are, you will never be able to imitate a solid wood panel with it.

Cabinet grade plywood has no voids in the inner layers . Look at some cheap ply in your local DIY place and if you peer along the edges you will see gaps in some of the plys.
Also cabinet grade tends to have more (thinner) layers of wood for a given thickness than B&Q etc. ply.

T

You pay for what you get.

There is no substute for HW. but should you,mneed to u8se oak faced ply the there are a lot of suppliers out their with a very good prduct.

I use it for door panels for boats and 8ft x 4 ft coats £36 , cheap when you compare with hardwood.Ragardinf the finish it (if you buy the right product) can match very well.

Whatever it will never match the real stuff.

Waka

I purchase veneered panels from a company called "Silverman Panels". I believe they are a national company. They stock a wide range of veneered panels in a range of thicknesses. Usually works out around £30/£35 a full sheet.
Regards
Philly

I am Looking to make storage in my workshop everything all over the shop at the moment can anyone advise of the right grade/Types of Ply to buy and a good suppyer I live in the Manchester area

Many Thanks

Back