Plywood stained black but with Clear top coat.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunkytfg

Established Member
Reaction score
Newbie first post here so if I'm breaking a etiquette somehow by not posting an intro somewhere else or something else please forgive me.

I've been tasked with 'painting' some plywood black but needs the grain to still show through however the Ply is going to get a fair bit of moisture dropped onto it(and wiped off but still...). So I was thinking a Clearcoat on top of it to essentially waterproof it however I want to make sure the stain and Clear top are compatible.

Could anyone make suggestions as to the best options?

So far I've found Protek Wood stain and protect(ebony) for the stain with Protek Woodstain and protect -Clear tough coat for the top coat. Would that likely work?

Thanks in advance

I've been tasked with 'painting' some plywood black but needs the grain to still show through however the Ply is going to get a fair bit of moisture dropped onto it(and wiped off but still...). So I was thinking a Clearcoat on top of it to essentially waterproof it however I want to make sure the stain and Clear top are compatible.
I did exactly that, I used a sanding sealer ½ cut of shellac then a couple or 3 coats of black dye shellac lastly a few coats of interior waterbased polyurethane. As the total area covered was around 6 square metres, and since I did not want brush marks I sprayed all of that. I’m not including brands as they will not be available in the U.K. however you can easily get alcohol soluble dyes to add to shellac in the U.K. and multiple water based products are widely found.
BD400C27-60BB-4ABD-A282-4CEC2226AA38.jpeg

Of course that complete finishing regimen was fast as by the time I had finished a coat I could start the next with the shellac so it could have been more coats of dye, and the polyurethane only needed about an hour.

DF8360DA-95E0-4EAE-97BD-6CC9301CABF7.jpeg
270E65CE-C1FA-488F-8049-AD01B359548D.jpeg
F49AF700-401E-4189-BBA9-9FF173AAEA0E.jpeg

this is the poly that is probably not available 2B50131F-46B5-4FD7-8604-B88F7963A4C9.jpeg

Last edited:
Back