Plywood grade with knots, figuring etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidjc

Reaction score
I have had a search on the forum however most people seem to be after a grade of ply with no knots etc.

I on the other hand am look for a grade and variety of 18mm birch plywood which has larger knots, figuring and colour variations in the grain but not with plugs, patches or too many smaller knots. It is to be used as panels for wall hanging. I have used BB grade in the past however a more bold figured look is required.

After searching grade C is the closest I have found however this grade seems to contain plugs and patches?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Sounds like you don't want Birch plywood! have you tried softwood ply such as Elliotis Pine or Wisa Spruce ply these are more your building/packing grades where surface finish is not so important.

Chrispy":1xy7u2wy said:
Sounds like you don't want Birch plywood! have you tried softwood ply such as Elliotis Pine or Wisa Spruce ply these are more your building/packing grades where surface finish is not so important.

Many thanks for your reply and will look into softwood ply as mentioned.

Attached is an image of natural birch plywood from a US supplier (not so good since in the UK) however it does show the grain I am after. Although finding it very difficult to find a similar grade/ product in the UK.

Attachments

• birch_ply.jpg
    birch_ply.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 114
What you are after, as you correctly surmise, is what everyone else tries to avoid! Drop into your local DIY shed - they have stacks of 'interesting quality' plywood, although they try and sell it as better than that ;) You can then go through the stack to find what you want. Other options since you are only interested in the face rather than being after a void free interior, is to look at CDX ply (may be too plain for your needs) - I had some recently from Travis Perkins for boarding a floor and the surface was actually pretty good for a 'cheap' ply. The other alternative is to look at a veneered ply so you can get a grain pattern. This will come from a better class of timber merchants that your local DIY shed, but will cost considerably more.

Good luck!

Steve

davidjc":232lnxq9 said:
Chrispy":232lnxq9 said:

Attached is an image of natural birch plywood from a US supplier (not so good since in the UK) however it does show the grain I am after. Although finding it very difficult to find a similar grade/ product in the UK.

I thought you wanted knots? there's no knots there!
How about Eucalyptus ply? or even a far eastern plywood.

Chrispy":1glabh5g said:
davidjc":1glabh5g said:
Chrispy":1glabh5g said:

I thought you wanted knots? there's no knots there!
How about Eucalyptus ply? or even a far eastern plywood.

Ah yes I should of mentioned knots present would be fine but with that type of grain figuring shown.

Thanks, will look into those too.

Have you thought about buying a more figured birch veneer and sticking that to a standard sheet, most of the veneer suppliers do "figured" birch in crown and rotary cuts. Masur birch would give you some nice figuring too.

J

Back