Plywood for tool wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is one I’m going to have to make but with the door storage on the inside and outside, as my wall space is running out. I do have a floor standing version on wheels so the hinges have little to no strain. The french cleat hanging version will have less depth though.View attachment 105339View attachment 105340

That cabinet is a beast! But I love it - especially the belt sander mounted on the opening section.

This is the hand-tool section in my narrow tandem garage workshop. The saw till and planer cabinet are on French cleats and can be lifted off (when empty). I only made them that way to make it easier for me to mount them after I had made them. To the right of them is the router/ plough/ scraper and assorted chisels panel. That is frequently added to and taken from - the beauty of a panelled wall. When I've managed to move the wood that's stacked up in front of my lathe I'll show that ply-wood wall and how my turning tools are mounted. Spoiler - nothing special.

Attachments

• P1020831 (1).JPG
    P1020831 (1).JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 56
hello there Bob, you young roister-doister, you. Ah, you look a likely sort of lad for tricks and sports and all sorts of jolly, rosy cheap capering, eh. Of course you do, and more besides, I warrant thee, young scamp

😁

That cabinet is a beast! But I love it - especially the belt sander mounted on the opening section.
Unfortunately you are seeing a detail that doesn’t exist. Yes the belt sander is there but it’s just on a convenient horizontal surface. The mounting block can sit on any flat surface and has a slide in fin so it can be fixed to a WorkMate. The whole cabinet is on about 12 casters so it can easily be moved to a different point against a wall.

My shop is a converted pre-fab garage. Not heated or insulated but I get no problems with rust on tools. Would that just be down to levels of humidity? Live in UK. East Midlands

My shop is a converted pre-fab garage. Not heated or insulated but I get no problems with rust on tools. Would that just be down to levels of humidity? Live in UK. East Midlands
I have an attached, un-heated garage. Freezing in the winter and cool in the summer. Never warm but never suffered with any rust problems either.

I get rust in the cellar but not in the unheated brick garage , except the time the boys loosened a tile when getting a ball down and the water ran down the planes and a few drill bits. Freezing in winter. Maybe I should not think of insulating it.

I'm not regimented enough for a tool cabinet like that. I prefer to use a large sheet of 12mm plywood, cheapest I can find. I painted it white. Then I just screw tool holders onto it as needed, and I can easily move them around as I want.

K9HyeG1h.jpg

uMQJDKJh.jpg

What I am thinking off is a shallow shelf under the top of my workbench to store stuff in as well. Like planes and other tools. Or making a complete set of drawers to go between the legs of the workbench.

And some day I will get rid of this stupid garage door and replace it with a proper double door on hinges.

You could get a few more planes in there!!
Nice use of space!
Thank you and I have to - I got myself an xmas present this year and got a shooting plane (the Veritas one) that needs to go up there. Mind you, it'll probably replace the record combination plane because that thing has proven less useful than hollows and rounds, so it might go into storage till I have more wall :D

Very neat solution. A little tardis of tools. Question: is the pointy stuff on the ceiling insulation of sound damping? It looks like an anechoic chamber. My garage is freezing in winter, all the heat goes through the roof tiles. I've been toying with fitting insulation but not sure what to do as dont want to trap damp and the joists are full of wood... Thanks Tom
It does dampen a little but it's mostly soundproofing from inside to outside because Neighbour From Hell. (Only the one, happily, the others are all lovely people, but one is sufficient :( )
It does _nothing_ for heat though :D Small oil-filled rad for that to keep it from freezing too badly but it's pretty much a meat locker in winter. No permanent power y'see so the rad can't be on all the time.

Managed to clear the wood and two door I'm making from in front of my lathe so I can make a couple of replacement knobs for my No4 and No5 1/2. I know I should have cleaned the yew and chestnut shavings for the photo but this is what it normally looks like, Anyway, the plywood wall has been there for around twenty years and I have only re-arranged everything once. I occasionally add or subtract an item but in general I'm happy with everything where they are.
P1020835 (1).JPG

@Denis CA. reply to your q on draws. A mix of draws wall and shelves is the most flexible. I find that a variety of draws shallow for fine measurement stuff and deep ones for power tools. Under the bench is a bit congested, Its great for things you are using near to hand especially sharpening stones that need to be taken out and put safely away.

Last edited:
It does dampen a little but it's mostly soundproofing from inside to outside because Neighbour From Hell. (Only the one, happily, the others are all lovely people, but one is sufficient :( )
It does _nothing_ for heat though :D Small oil-filled rad for that to keep it from freezing too badly but it's pretty much a meat locker in winter. No permanent power y'see so the rad can't be on all the time.
Thanks for the reply. I added a propane heater this year as it was very bitter this Jan, but worried that the water vapour given off and condensing on the windows was probably a a bit risky from a rust perspective, but so far no bad effect. You only need one neighbour from hell, both my Mum and mother in law had that issue for a while. We have a slightly tricky bloke down the street, treats everyone threateningly. bully, he seems troubled even his daughter finds him difficult.

I find ACF-50's a bit of a toolsaver for rust Tomin, it's like a canadian version of the boeshield T-9 stuff but I can't get T-9 over here at all while every motorbike shop around carries the ACF-50.
Alas, no such easy solution for the neighbours :(

I've got some stuff up on cleats with specially designed holders. The rest is in 450mm bar magnets. Covers most of my stuff.

I can't imagine a scenario where any regular handheld tool couldn't be held up with 12mm shuttering ply. Let alone hardwood ply.

I'm not regimented enough for a tool cabinet like that. I prefer to use a large sheet of 12mm plywood, cheapest I can find. I painted it white. Then I just screw tool holders onto it as needed, and I can easily move them around as I want.

K9HyeG1h.jpg

uMQJDKJh.jpg

What I am thinking off is a shallow shelf under the top of my workbench to store stuff in as well. Like planes and other tools. Or making a complete set of drawers to go between the legs of the workbench.

And some day I will get rid of this stupid garage door and replace it with a proper double door on hinges.
Very tidy, well done. I used loads of magnetic strips bought from Toolstation and Lidle. The handle of my woodturning gouges sit in a batton and the magntic strip holds the steel. I changed the garage door with a pvc double doors with window each side with opening top lights. The firm matched the unit to the windows of the house. Cost was £2.2k. The doors are held open with cabin hooks when I am working and dust gets away and I have made some new aquaintances as they pass in the street. Sold a few things as well.

Back