Plywood Choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.alan.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All, just been gleaning the internet researching about plywood. I have read there is no such thing as WBP no more?
I am wanting to build a small 6x4 shed - Faux Japanese Tea House ( see attached) So I am wanting a plywood that will best suited to all weather conditions . I know Marine Ply would be the choice of many, but with the price been so high I am looking for a alternative ( does not need to have a smooth finish on either side. )
I believe the the specification I need is EN - 636 - 3, can anyone advise me of a Plywood which would be suitable and not as expensive as marine ply.
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-20 at 19.03.51.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-20 at 19.03.51.png
    271.2 KB · Views: 47
Hmm seems to me im
not the only one who is confused by ratings of Plywood .. I’m still trying to find out a alternative to Marine ply ( as I don’t need good faces on either side) if I do manage to find anything I will put a post up as I’m sure this is a question so many of us would like to know 👍🏻

Hi yes I know what you mean, I think the Chinese degraded the quality so much that now they daren’t call it BWP. (Boil and waterproof)
Just checked with my Timberyard and they are suggesting marine ply. Since then I’ve just thought that maybe you could use phenolic ply – might be a bit cheaper than marine. Ian

I would use buffalo board which is a resin bonded board.
Otherwise a good quality hardwood ply should do.

Cheers James

Hi yes I know what you mean, I think the Chinese degraded the quality so much that now they daren’t call it BWP. (Boil and waterproof)
It’s not the Chinese who have degraded the quality. Plywood makers will supply a product that matches the buyers price.
The buyers of plywood, by pushing the price down, are the ones who are responsible.
Demand a low price and somethings have to go,
Less glue,
Thinner face veneers,
Lower pressure in the press,
Shorter time in the press,
Less or no QC
Etc
The suppliers get blamed for the product that the buyers are willing to buy.

The Chinese factories are perfectly capable of supplying quality products if the cheap a*r*s*e*d Laowai or Gwai Lo will pay for it. They are making really expensive superb sheets but then the prices will be hundreds of pounds per sheet and the minimum order is not small as the factory has to be setup to produce the order.
If you want a teak plywood with teak cores zero voids or overlaps where the face ply is mm thick not microns it’s available. It is not cheap

.. Thanks for the input - but basically reading through the info on the websites
there is no definitive answer / or should I say product on what I need - ( Marine ply with c grade faces - knots etc ) as this hopefully should be cheaper .
I did go on this site … and I “ Think” what they are saying good WBP - is the same as Marine Ply - but with inferior faces ..
confusing ..
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/blog.plyco.com.au/marine-plywood-vs-exterior-plywood?hs_amp=true

I would use buffalo board which is a resin bonded board.
Otherwise a good quality hardwood ply should do.

Cheers James
I must confess I had never heard of Buffalo board .. just checked it out briefly sounds really interesting stuff - could be a bit pricey though . Interestingly while on the site - I saw a Tin of phenolic resin you can buy to seal plywood edges - again could be very useful for me . 😊

Looking at the tea house in your photo @mr.alan. I’d be looking at a different material than plywood, cement board has a smooth face that can be painted & will stand up to water far better.

Just checked with my Timberyard and they are suggesting marine ply. Since then I’ve just thought that maybe you could use phenolic ply – might be a bit cheaper than marine. Ian
I've had an 8 x 4 sheet of Phenolic-Covered Ply - ( designed to be used as horse-box-flooring) vertically-stored outdoors for 5 years and it is beginning to de-laminate.

Hmm seems to me im
not the only one who is confused by ratings of Plywood .. I’m still trying to find out a alternative to Marine ply ( as I don’t need good faces on either side) if I do manage to find anything I will put a post up as I’m sure this is a question so many of us would like to know 👍🏻
The alternative is shuttering plywood.

A neighbour tried to buy some shuttering ply recently from the local supplier. He bought b/bb instead as it was considerably cheaper. He was told the shuttering ply came from America and the prices have rocketed.

Question about plywood has all plywood rocketed in price?

Or is it the basic shuttering and hardwood ply has, whilst wisa / bruynzeel / marine ply has remained steady???

Cheers James

Back