Plywood chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
If the picture loaded, a chair with seat and back carved out of marine ply with an arbourtech, the frame is mild steel box section, I managed to get just the right amount of instability and springiness in it. I am an addicted chair tilter, this one balances beautifully. One day I plan to make myself a two legged chair. my Dad always used to threaten to make one as a kid.
plywoodchair.jpg
plywoodchair.jpg

A truly horrible job, instead of sparying chips as usual it was spraying splinters all over me.

Chunko'.

Attachments

• plywoodchair.jpg
    plywoodchair.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,178
I rather like it - but feel the box metal could benefit from a little refinement!

Do you think the splinters were related to the construction of the 'marine ply'? The (an) alternative would be a coarse sanding disc - but the dust.... #-o

Hi Chunko,

whilst you have shaped the plywood well to give an even balance in the appearance I hope you wont be offended if I say that it isnt my cup of tea - Saying that though i'm sure that alot of thought and effort has been put into the design criteria.

Rog

I had always wanted a cast iron tractor seat for a garden seat, too expensive.
This was just a lash up using what was around when I was skint. It worked so it never got finished with the nice legs I had planned.
I dont like the back so much, it looks a bit over designed, in reality i was just letting the tool do the work.
I did try sanding discs, but so slow. Plywood and arbortech? not the best idea. but it works.

Chunko'.

bloody heck how big is your butt... only kidding.. I love that chair.. ply.. most people sniff there noses up at the stuff... and you just proven them wrong.. that wood is stunning...

however ... the legs.. ummm not to my taste.. but if your happy great... shame you couldnt go all modern on it and have it in a circular shape or curved shape to match the seat and back rest..

Back