Ply or real wood for outdoor bookcase/ cabinet for mini library?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris.gid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, the local parish council has asked me to make an outdoor mini library like the one below. As its going to be located outside and probably getting full sun for a good part of the day I'm wondering what to make it from:

Hardwood/ Marine ply - Better stability, easy to buy a sheet and just cut to size (likely about 30cm deep), will be pained anyway so looks are not important, unlikely to crack, but worried about the edges fraying and potential rot from moisture.

Treated timer - Don't have to worry about it delaminating/ stand up to rain better but will mean joining various boards, potential for warping in the heat, cracks forming during winter and letting water in.....

What are peoples opinions on the best material?

IMG_6249.jpg

I would use something like oak or sweet chestnut, plywood won't last

I'd use MDO / buffalo board.
Resin infused plywood.
Buy a recognised brand like buffalo board or wisa etc.

Expensive but worth it.

Cheers James

if you have bought a sheet of ply now :cry: then with prices as they are a similar piece in Oak or similar would be around the same price and imho look nicer and last longer (y) Make sure it is well secured or some little :poop: will pinch it :mad:.
It's a good idea and i might mention it to our parish council as it would fit in real nice in the pinfold where in the old day's people would sit and chat or read :)

If you want it to last then use solid rather than ply unless you can guarantee that you are able to fully seal the ply to prevent ingress and delamination.

We had a couple of wooden notice boards made in the village similar to your photo. They were very well made with excellent material but failed very quickly. Biggest weakness was that the notices were just pinned to the backboard which was solid ply and became waterlogged. They replaced them with off-the-peg metal/glass noticeboards which were no problem at all and much cheaper. This sort of thing Outdoor Notice Boards | External Notice Boards Bound to be a similar box for books available somewhere.
The detail design matters more than the materials. It needs projecting eaves and gables all 4 sides with felt etc on top. The back needs to be as waterproof and as protected as the front. The books need to be on a freestanding shelf unit with air circulating all around and no contact with the back or the sides. Ventilation needed for free air flow through.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that will consume about 10% of a 4 x 8 sheet and have you seen the price of marine ply. ! Pressure treated softwood would be my choice with a metal roof of some kind.

I would make the roof deeper than the bookcase perhaps even double to keep the rain off!

Cheers James

Yes, deep overhangs will be a must.

Agree on the amount of ply i'd be using, but it has the big advantage of not having to joint boards together.

The price diff between marine ply, and softwood is minimal (as i'd need PAR as i dont have a planer/thicknesser) and Meranti hardwood is only another £30.

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
As the quantity of material is low it might be worth using tricoya , miles better than marine ply for the application.

As the quantity of material is low it might be worth using tricoya , miles better than marine ply for the application.
Hmmm, they sell it at my local timber yard but £260+vat for an 18mm sheet, thats double the price of hardwood.

Part of me thinks im over thinking this, i was thinking of making it air tight so the pages don't crinkle up, but then part of me thinks make a basic box frame then use some cheap old bits of pine i have lying around and just make it like weather board edging.

Hmmm, they sell it at my local timber yard but £260+vat for an 18mm sheet, thats double the price of hardwood.

Part of me thinks im over thinking this, i was thinking of making it air tight so the pages don't crinkle up, but then part of me thinks make a basic box frame then use some cheap old bits of pine i have lying around and just make it like weather board edging.
Definitely not air tight, or the pages will crinkle up!

Back