Ply as MFT top?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymien

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you think an 18mm sheet of hardwood ply would be a suitable top for a custom MFT table? I know some CNC companies can supply an MFT top in birch ply, but the sheet I have isn’t birch. Just standard B&Q ply. Think it’ll hold up?

Last edited:
I bought a sheet of cheap ply and the difference between that and BB birch ply is pretty large. I'd not want to try drilling an MFT's worth of 20mm holes in a cheap ply sheet that's for sure, but I guess it depends on the actual quality. The cheap stuff I have is a bit reddish in colour, I used it for making a shooting board and the rest is now just a temporary worksurface that I use when I don't care what happens to it. I'd not make anything "nice" out of the stuff.

It will if you sandwich it between a couple of sheet of 18mm Baltic birch maybe. Otherwise computer says no

I’d just try it Raymien I can’t see it not working it would just be its longevity, the main problem I could foresee would be the splintering particularly when cutting into the surface across the grain but you’d get the same with Birch as any plywood

the quality of glue and wood used in big shed ply is deplorable. It will work for a while but any really heavy use and it will deteriorate quickly. Get any liquid spills that go in the holes and it will die by delamination very very quickly. Just bite the bullet and get some decent stuff and stop using the sheds to supply your wood, that is a mugs game

Thanks for the replies, I think I’ll save it for garage cabinets and get a sheet of MDF instead

D7A084A0-E780-4FB5-B40F-C835E0059C72.jpeg

I’d say it will depend on size and support. The above was made from hardwood ply, 1220x610 and supported by 6 M8 threaded support legs. It worked a treat.

Recently upgraded it to a larger version in Valchromat.

636A530B-99FF-4EE1-BD43-D63557E849C4.jpeg

Back