PLY AGIAN

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Sorry but another ply wood question :oops: I see a lot of you have no trouble getting your ply but it seems that plywood in Wales is hard to come by :( . Dose anyone know of a suppler in Wales were I can get veneered and good grade ply. Everyone I ask says Bristol and then only in bulk, which is no good to me.

Just one more question, how strong are pocket hole screws for making cabinets, and what are some other options. Thanks

SCOTT :D

Scotty":3s2pths4 said:
Just one more question, how strong are pocket hole screws for making cabinets, and what are some other options. Thanks

If it's good quality ply, and your technique is good, and the cabonet design is appropriate, the pocket screws are fine.
Make up some joints and try them for strength
Have a think about what kind of stress the joints will be subjected to, and design accordingly
If you are expecting heavy loads, then do what I do and reinforce the joint with Titebond Polyurethane glue

John

Give Swansea Timber & plywood a ring on 01792 655 680

They might answer the phone as Lock tec thats another side of the buiesness

RKL Plywood is one of the biggest importers of plywood into this country through Swansea docks and sponsors to the Welsh Blacks :D could try there huge place down on the docks

Scotty":2cc5fwah said:
Hi all

Never use pocket screws and so don't know how good they will be but I know that John Elliot uses them all the time to make caracsses and finds they work great

Other options would be

Dado (slot cut in one piece to accpept the other) - this is the method I almost always use and is very strong indeed, especuillay if ytour dado slot is cut very accurately and tight to the mating piece

If the edges are to be joined at 90 degrees, then a rebate in one of both of them

Biscuit joinery

Dowels

Screw from the back side into a butt joint

A mate of mine wants me to make something like this for him

dj.bmp

hes a DJ so lots of vinyl :) . This one is made of MDF but I think in time it will bend, so ply would be better. Would pocket screws be strong enough?. Thanks for the ply supplers guys.

Scotty,

They should be strong enough but given the design you will see the screw joints. You can normally hide them on most cabinets (using them from the outside etc). You can buy special plugs to fill the holes and they do come in a variety of 'woods'. I have not used them but I think that they will show which would be fine if you wanted to make a feature of them.

My thought about how to resolve the weight issue of the vinyl is to make the back panel out of heavy stuff ie 18mm if your intention is to use ply alround. Then I would house the shelves in dados on all three sides to create a really strong joint. You could use biscuits but I think if you are concerned about weight then this might not suffice. In either instance you could put a couple of support blocks under the bottom shelf (set back so they are invisible). I imagine there isn't room for them in the upper shelves because of the records. Obviously lipping the shelves will increase the rigidity as well. Its amazing how even small stuff can make a difference to the bowing.

On the Ply supplier question - have you tried Travis Perkins? I get a lot of my sheet stuff there and they seem to own a lot of suppliers now.

Link for your one below - they do sheet stuff according to the blurb - most don't keep it in stock but they can normally get it in within a week.

http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/cont...branches/advanced/default.asp&costcentre=1387

Cheers

Tim

Back