Plunging into debt?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy decent blades and get them sharpened for my table saw but use the cheap throw away ones in my mitre saw and plunge saw.

Took a 16 T Festool blade for my TS 75 (missing 1 and 2 chipped) into Norfolk Saw Services on Friday thinking it was probably BER, still worked out cheaper to fix than buy a new one, I did buy a 24 t Freud blade for it whilst there, as that was massively cheaper than a new FT one.

Call them plunge saws or track saws as you please, but why oh why are the blades so expensive? Just ordered a new blade (DT1090) for my DeWALT saw at the “bargain” price of £46 and a few pence. Similar blades by DeWALT, also in 165mm diameter, are all priced under £20. What is that all about - could it be the narrower kerf?

Methinks a trip to the local saw-blade sharpener with the old one might be a good investment for the future….
My understanding is that a mitre saw should have a negative rake. I think that this applies to sliding mitre saws more so than chop saws. One of my gripes when buying circular saw blades is that so often the adverts do not give the rake angle.

Whether this applies to a plunge saw I do not know, I do not yet own one so have not looked in to it. Maybe it is economies of scale, or maybe not.

Last edited:
Just a word of warning, years ago I decided to try a cheap blade in my track saw the kerf was exactly the same so why not, turned out the body of the blade wasn’t the same thickness so the cheap blade cut my splinter guard. As a result when using the manufacturers blade I got more break out than I had prior to using the cheap blades.
I replaced the splinter guard & have stayed with the manufacturers blades ever since.

Have a look at Saxon Blades - great range and good prices
I have bought a saxton blade in the past and it was good. However the last time I looked was for a mitre saw so was looking for negative hook/rake, no info on the website so I emailed them asking which blades were suitable for a mitre saw and did not get a reply.

I have bought a saxton blade in the past and it was good. However the last time I looked was for a mitre saw so was looking for negative hook/rake, no info on the website so I emailed them asking which blades were suitable for a mitre saw and did not get a reply.

I bought a blade from them for my Kapex mitre saw, it is listed on their site as suitable for the Kapex, when it came it was positive rake. I did use it and had no problems with it.

Picture of it here compared to the original Festool blade which is negative rake.

saw blades.jpg

Back