Plunge Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Divar 55 is brand new so you won't find many people with experience just yet. I haven't seen one in the metal but for less than half the price of a Festool equivalent it's got to be worth a shot for the hobbyist user in my view. Depends what sort of usage and results you are demanding really - as long at it runs securely in the track I would imagine it's still pretty accurate. Might be worth seeing if it's compatible with other manufacturers tracks in case the Woodstar ones don't turn out to be very good.

It would be very interesting to hear from anyone who ends up buying one... Many people on this forum alone seem to get along well with only a basic (non-plunging, often 'cheap') circular saw, used in conjunction with a home-made MDF/plywood saw guide. So, how bad could this Woodstar saw really be?

It's likely to be missing some of the features you'd expect to find on the Festool saws but, armed with a sharp, decent blade, is there any reason it could not cut almost as well? We'd also have to assume that the guide rails are straight, flat and true, of course.

Hope one of the magazines gets to look at one in the near future... For occasional use, it could be a good buy. Never understood why they call it 'Woodster' when the logo clearly features a STAR in place of the 'e'! :roll: :)

Thanks forthe comments guys.At the moment I use a cheap saw with a home made guide as Olly says. It's not been bad but lately it seems to be stuggling despite a new blade and sometimes it 'sticks' when I'm getting started (it's not a plunge saw). The idea of looking for a compatable guide rail is a good one especially as I would like something nearer 2m, but maybe scheppach do longer length rails - I'll check.
Will keep you informed.

These look good on paper. I'll be getting my hands on one next week hopefully and will post a review.

It is suggested that the festool saw will fit on the woodster track, but not the other way round. I'll confirm when I get my hands on one as we have the festool gear here as well.

Watch this space.

Got my hands on one of these today.

Initial impressions are good. The plunge saw is solidly built. It sits on the track with no slop and travels smoothly.

The rails are solid enough for the task and come with non slip strips on the bottom. These do not appear to be as hard wearing as the non slip strip on the Festool track, but could be replaced. The tracks go together well with the joining strips and the hold down clamps provide adequate pressure.

The edges of the track are very sharp all round and I'm surprised they have not been eased a bit more. Easily done yourself and probably fitting for the price.

The only thing that really lets this down has to be the breakout strip. It is too soft and chipping still occurs, albeit much reduced than not using one. I haven't tested this yet, but I reckon the Festool strip will fit on it. If this is the case, then it is a must.

For the money I think it is a great package and I'm very tempted to get one myself once I've check out the Festool strip with it.

I'd go and see one and have a go if you can.

Latest posts

Back