Plunge saw - battery or corded?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I’m planning on taking the plunge (haha) and getting a plunge saw. Any experience to share on battery versus corded? Is battery life an issue? Is charge time an issue? Ps it will
Probably be a festool unless any of you can convince me otherwise!

Cheers
Pete

Hi

I’m planning on taking the plunge (haha) and getting a plunge saw. Any experience to share on battery versus corded? Is battery life an issue? Is charge time an issue? Ps it will

Cheers
Pete
I really like my corded TS55. I always have extraction attached to it when I use it so it doesn't make any difference to me having to plug it in as well. Plus I like that I don't have to worry about whether it's charged or not, always just have full power avaliable.

I've never used a battery plunge saw so cannot compare.

If you are under budget constraints but want to get a festool track saw (which I would happily reccomend), then consider the Excel line of tracks which work perfectly with the saws and are much cheaper (£27 for 2x 700mm and connector, £35 for a 1500mm, or £77 for 2x 1500mm and connector)

That’s really helpful sams93 thank you. I hadn’t realised those tracks were compatible, the festool ones are certainly jolly expensive. Have you used any of the other offerings from makita or Dewalt? How did you find them? The only negative I’ve heard about festool so far is the power of the motor for cutting thicker stock but to be honest I’ll mainly be using to cut 18mm panels so won’t be an issue for me. I was speaking to a retired joiner the other week and he told me he had a festool tool break down on him on a job and he rang to report it and they delivered him a brand new one to the very site he was working on the very same day. I though wow that’s pretty impressive service.

I'm a DIY user so I don't think I put the saw through its paces. I mostly use it to cut 12 or 18mm birch ply. Have used it to cut 40mm walnut and 45mm oak and that was fine. I just use the normal 48T blade it came with which i've had sharpened once when I bought it (used), and it gives excellent splinter free cuts on 99% of occasions.

I havent used the dewalt or makita, I have used the Erbauer one which had a much poorer build quality IMO.

The dust extraction (as with all of Festools products) is excellent, I don't have a CTL/CTM so I just plug mine in to my shop vac and that works excellently.

Peter Millard does a video on some of the different tracks on his 10min workshop page (Link here), he does quite a few other tracksaw videos which are good.

I understand that a lot of sites are introducing 'battery only' rules in order to reduce cables lying around sites and improve safety, so that is part of the push towards a lot of these battery tools as it makes them viable purchases for people working on these sites. As I only use mine at home (or family/friends etc) that doesnt matter to me and i'm happy with the cord.

I bought my 240V TS55 used and its an older model, but I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one if it broke.
1655456022750.png

Last edited:
I have a 240v TS55 that I purchased first and then I bought a cordless TS55.
Power wise, there is no difference between them. If you are mainly going to be working with sheet materials, the cordless will suffice......Obviously, battery hours of use may be an issue, depends on how many cuts your going to be doing.

Dust extraction whilst using just the cloth bag on the cordless is okay ish.....just not quite as good as a mains powered saw with a dust extractor connected.
There is a significant difference in price, especially if you haven't already got Festool batteries & a charger.

Ultimately, if I had to choose just one, I would stick with the 240v version.

It depends on the work you are going to put it to. I have a Makita corded saw which has given sterling service. However I did a large flat roof project for my son and would have dearly loved a cordless saw.
When I am cutting up sheets for cabinets as others have said I use extraction and the cord is no problem, for site work where extraction is not so relevent I would definately go cordless.

The other thing to consider is auto switching on your extract which obvs only works with corded. Festool do a bluetooth module for their extracts but that adds up to quite a pricey package.

I've heard a few cases where the battery saw is actually more powerful than the corded version, I believe the TS55 is just one example.

I have the power cord attached to the extraction hose, so it doesn't really make a difference for me. The battery is also one more thing to get in the way, so might interfere with bench dogs for example.

If it was needed for jobsite work, I'd personally always go cordless.

Only using the TS55 around my or someone else's home / workshop I have no need for the cordless. A 240V volt saw will potentially last far longer for less money.

I do have a cordless Bosch circ. (bundled as a freebie when buying their cordless angle grinder) and it's super handy for slicing things up in the yard at the builders' merchants to fit in the car but the price of both my saws together will be less than the cordless Festool.

I've heard a few cases where the battery saw is actually more powerful than the corded version, I believe the TS55 is just one example........

I believe that was stated by some users from the USA and people that are used to 110v on UK building sites......The 110v saws are known for bogging down & stalling when put under a bit of extra strain......Its also potentially due to using a too small transformer and/or too thin and long power lead.

I have had a Makita corded plunge saw for several years- it's a great machine.
If you decide to go cordless, suggest you get a good make - Festool do really good quality.
Battery powered tools are more convenient , safer - and the performance, these days, is great.
If battery operating time is sufficient for your needs, I would be tempted to go cordless.

I have had a corded Festool TS55 for years which has been fantastic but if I was buying again I would get the cordless, I just love the convenience of cordless tools.

It is a choice of either puting up with a cable and having a tool that will keep going unless there is a power cut or a cordless where you become a slave to batteries which are becoming ever more expensive. I would second sawtooths vote for the Makita, I brought the 110 volt version after @JobandKnock gave it the thumbs up, but if you want to spend more money then buy the Maefell, 1400 watts and by all accounts the best track connectors / alignment.

I've just pulled the trigger(about 5 hours ago) on the TS55FEBQ, via FFX on ebay which has 15% off,, meaning a saving of £64, and I paid £364 for the bare saw. But it is the latest model.

With a bit of hindsight, the saw plus rail with the 15% off cones to £425, which is a better saving really(£75) as you're getting the 1400mm rail too, basically for an extra £61, when the rail alone to buy later would cost you an additional £110.
I didnt notice at the time they had the rail inc version, my bad. Hopefully you can learn from my mistake and take the advantage i screwed up on.

All said and done im happy to have finally bought it all the same, and happy with the price ive paid.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393194396222?hash=item5b8c365a3e:g:cmAAAOSwtaJirECW

As to which you should get - cordless or corded i did see this vid and although i didnt want the cordless as im really not a full time user of it, the guy in the vid is a professional carpenter, and if its a professional basis you want it for then what he has to say makes sense.

I have had a corded Festool TS55 for years which has been fantastic but if I was buying again I would get the cordless, I just love the convenience of cordless tools.
That is a good argument for battery tools.

But since I always want the best dust extraction I can get, it doesn’t work for the TS55 as it will always have a hose attached and my extractor hose has a power cord attached the battery version has no benefit and is much more expensive (10 years so far of battery replacement)

I bought the 240v Festool and love it (hobby use). Because I always want the best extraction I can get I have the plug it cord attached to the extraction hose using Velcro cable ties and I really don’t notice it. That said I would like a battery saw for convenience when doing work outside and the dust extraction isn’t as important. If buying again I’d probably still get the 240v because none of my cordless tools are Festool and investing into the battery platform isn’t cheap.

If you are under budget constraints but want to get a festool track saw (which I would happily reccomend), then consider the Excel line of tracks which work perfectly with the saws and are much cheaper (£27 for 2x 700mm and connector, £35 for a 1500mm, or £77 for 2x 1500mm and connector)
Just a note of caution re the excel rails; as mentioned in another thread, the 700mm Excel rails are a different pattern to the 1500mm. The longer rails are a clone of the Makita-pattern, the shorter ones are more like the Einhell/ older Parkside, and while they will join together they‘re not a great fit. HTH P

With 2020 hindsight, 1400 rails are a pain. They are a little short for crosscutting an 8x4 sheet. You really want a little less than a saws length of overhang at each end for a clean run on and off the sheet without the saw wobbling. 1900 rail is dearer but I wish I'd bought that rather than the 1400.

Just a note of caution re the excel rails; as mentioned in another thread, the 700mm Excel rails are a different pattern to the 1500mm. The longer rails are a clone of the Makita-pattern, the shorter ones are more like the Einhell/ older Parkside, and while they will join together they‘re not a great fit. HTH P
Yes this was something I found out after purchasing - I had expected to be able to add my single 1500 to the two 700s I have but alas it is not something they are designed to do.

Both the 700s and 1500s work perfectly with the Festool TS55 though, just have to be aware if you want to join them you need to join multiples of the same size together.

Hi

Cheers
Pete
I need to cut through veneer sometimes so I am going to buy the mafell ( I'm aiming for the cordless). These have the score function so you never get chipped edges. They are expensive but think it's a worthwhile tool when you read all the reviews, maybe watch the video they give out.

Back