Plumbing: reposition Offset Connector for Shower mixer bar?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flynnwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening,
I am changing a shower mixer bar and need to reposition the Offset Connectors to accommodate the new mixer. As per the photo, the original outlets were fitted slightly unlevel to accommodate the original fitting (not by me) and I can't attach the new one. It's about 2 to 3mm out on the horizontal and vertical plane across the 150mm span - hence the need to reposition one or both of the Offset Connectors. I can't even cross thread it if I try really hard. 😊

Given I can't access behind the tiles, is this doable? (Loosen/reposition/tighten the offset connectors). Any tips?

shower.JPG

The adaptors sticking out of the wall are probably parallel thread with lots of ptfe tape or sealant. There should be some flats to get a spanner on to adjust - you might be lucky and not need to reseal. If not, then remove the adaptors, clean, retape and wind in to the required angles for the spacing. No adjustment to compensate for lack of planarity to the wall though.

As a plumber I would not disturb the joints in the wall. Unless you want to take it all off to remake it when it leaks. But what do I know 🤔
Is this likely a complete wall re-make if the Offset Connectors can't be repositioned? Thanks for being honest 😊

Most likely the the threads will have PTFE on them and won't be to tight, I would see if they will come out using moderate force. If they don't then you risk screwing the pipe around in the wall or if they are screwed into 1/2" x 15mm compression elbows the nut could loosen in the wall. If they come out, clean the threads, re tape and screw them back in to see if you can get the offsets to line up. What sometimes happens is one has been over tightened originally to try to get it to line up correctly.

When I bought my house over 11 years ago, one of the conditions for the purchase was replacement of the shower fixtures with new mixers. The new mixers that I provided had a slightly wider spacing for the connections than the original mixers. The plumber that the seller contracted for the replacement unscrewed the offsets, cleaned off the internal threads in the wall joints and the external threads on the offsets, applied new sealing compound and whatever hair-like fiber they use here (no PTFE tape), and reinstalled the offsets to fit the new mixers. I have not had any problem with them.

The first think I think you need to find out is whether they are installed on a fitting like the one shown in 1 stevens image. Can you get a look down the sides with a torch or whatever. If it is like that then I wouldn't see a problem taking them out and giving them a good clean up before putting them back in. You would just need to experiment with exactly how much tape to use to get them tight at the position you need. Bit of a faff, but certainly worth a try before you think about ripping the wall out. Just don't finish around them until you are sure they are not leaking.

The first think I think you need to find out is whether they are installed on a fitting like the one shown in 1 stevens image. Can you get a look down the sides with a torch or whatever. If it is like that then I wouldn't see a problem taking them out and giving them a good clean up before putting them back in. You would just need to experiment with exactly how much tape to use to get them tight at the position you need. Bit of a faff, but certainly worth a try before you think about ripping the wall out. Just don't finish around them until you are sure they are not leaking.
If it was on the later fixing it they would have not used the offset crank adapters that came with the shower kit.

The adaptors sticking out of the wall are probably parallel thread with lots of ptfe tape or sealant. There should be some flats to get a spanner on to adjust - you might be lucky and not need to reseal. If not, then remove the adaptors, clean, retape and wind in to the required angles for the spacing. No adjustment to compensate for lack of planarity to the wall though.
Fully agree DeeJ. A spanner on the adaptor and a bit of torque will, in all probability swing the adaptor.

Offset connectors can be a real PITA. Any adjustment after tiling is complete. can cause a leak that you cannot get to. After I had completed my own installation I could hear a drip, drip behind the wall. I just couldn't rip out all my nice work, so I knocked out a block in the room behind to give me access - some careful measuring had given me the exact spot. A bit drastic , but it worked. ....... A mental note to self - use the special fixing kit in future!

If your new mixer doesnt fit and bearing in mind that shower mixers usually are all at 150mm centres, then he has no option but to get stuck in and undo the offending adapter. I wouldnt just turn it, take it out and remake the joint.
It was common practice to fit bar showers to winged or backplate elbows screwed back to the studwork or the wall, although goodness knows what you might find, but it looks like your only option is to tackle it and see.
Steve.

When I bought my house over 11 years ago, one of the conditions for the purchase was replacement of the shower fixtures with new mixers. The new mixers that I provided had a slightly wider spacing for the connections than the original mixers. The plumber that the seller contracted for the replacement unscrewed the offsets, cleaned off the internal threads in the wall joints and the external threads on the offsets, applied new sealing compound and whatever hair-like fiber they use here (no PTFE tape), and reinstalled the offsets to fit the new mixers. I have not had any problem with them.
Probably boss white and hemp.

I used liquid PTFE for setting the offset connectors rather than tape. You can set the centres and level accurately and just leave to set.

I used liquid PTFE for setting the offset connectors rather than tape. You can set the centres and level accurately and just leave to set.
Thanks for that. 👍 I've used Fernox LSX before but hadn't considered such a similar approach to this problem. The curing time had put me off. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back