Plumbing question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

If the central heating pipes are not straight where they connect to a radiator, will the compression joints leak?

We had some pipes extended in preparation for tiling next week and the plumber has soldered the pipes wonky...

Cheers,
Mark

If a compression joint is fitted properly it won't leak. However if the pipe is wonky and doesn't meet the radiator nicely then the compression joint won't fit properly.

It depends how wonky. A couple of degrees is probably ok, as long as the compression joint is fitted ok, as per ror's comment above

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Regardless of if it leaks now, it's unnecessary, shoddy, lazy work that you are paying hardearned for. If you have noticed it now it will never be unnoticed and drive you mad in tiny increments over the years every time you see it. (That might just be me though. I'm a bit funny like that. I once won about 18 pints on a Friday afternoon when I was the only one in the pub who could see the roof on the 60 foot square new smoking shelter had been fitted wrongwise. It was about 1" higher in 1 corner lol. Life's really important victories eh! :eek:ccasion5: )
Get him back in to do it properly if at all possible especially if you still owe money.
You may well find that its ok initially but over time begins to weep.
Has he actually soldered them? You'll be able to see if he has. It's doubtful these days. As Rorscharch says it's more likely a compression joint. Having it a little wonky might affect it's integrity over time. Pipes do move over time as they heat and cool. It certainly won't help and is just lazy work anyway. Sammy is right in that fractionally out won't matter but if it's visible pipework and it bothers you.... No excuse, complain! :D Any Building Site of size will have people employed specifically to go round sites and snag cra* work. That's you when others are working on your house. Or don't. It's your house. :wink:
Cheers

with slightly less bizarreness as the above :roll: =D>

Its quite difficult to solder an extension pipe wonky. I would expect leaks in the very near future. Get him back asap and explain himself because it needs explaining.

:shock:
Nothing bizarre about it fella.
Plumbers are not cheap Bob. Even the Cr*p ones. Yet domestic plumbing is hardly tricky.
Why put up with shi*e standards?
I see lines Bob. Not imaginary ones ffs. I'm not that bleedin' mad. If a picture is hanging askew by the enth degree in a someone's house I'm the fella who looks over his shoulder to check no one is watching me and straightens it. Then relaxes.
Can't help it mate.

Should work at the National Gallery. Be like free therapy lol. :roll: Perhaps they I can take my Rothenberger torch in case it's dark in the basement. :-"

Just has a run in with a domestic plumber loads of grief and the final straw was when he invoiced me with labour at £81 per hour. And taps which anyone could get from screwfix for £40 charged at £125 Needless to say I paid what was quoted not invoiced!!!!!!

Where I am working at the moment they have just fallen out with a plumber.

He came to fix a leak, he was in and out in no time at all. They got a shock when he invoiced them £200 for labour, when they questioned it his reply was that he had allocated the morning to their job so that was what they had to pay for.

Hi chaps,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm boxing in all the exposed pipework prior to tiling, so potential leaks are more of a concern than what it looks like.

He charged £80 for 1 1/2 hours work extending the radiator pipes and replacing several pushfit joints with soldered. That included the central heating inhibitor, too, as the system had to be drained. Probably not a terrible price, but still galling when his workmanship left a lot to be desired.

Mark

When I was an apprentice gas fitter, back the 60's, we (of course) considered the plumbers apprentices to be people who failed their gas exams. :roll: (hammer)
By todays standards, I think most of them turned out to be master craftsmen.

The good plumbing stories over the years are outnumbered by the bad by something like 50 to 1.

Sheffield Tony":1g0v4zf4 said:
It is easier to learn to plumb, than it is to find a good plumber.

:lol: Cheaper too!

I do as much of my own plumbing as I can.

Bm101":kahpxfi7 said:
:shock:
Nothing bizarre about it fella.
Plumbers are not cheap Bob. Even the Cr*p ones. Yet domestic plumbing is hardly tricky.
Why put up with shi*e standards?
I see lines Bob. Not imaginary ones ffs. I'm not that bleedin' mad. If a picture is hanging askew by the enth degree in a someone's house I'm the fella who looks over his shoulder to check no one is watching me and straightens it. Then relaxes.
Can't help it mate.

Should work at the National Gallery. Be like free therapy lol. :roll: Perhaps they I can take my Rothenberger torch in case it's dark in the basement. :-"

I have that obsession too. In a previous life I inspected children’s homes, used to drive the staff mad when I pointed out the wonky picture frames. And my other beet noir is tangled phone handset cables (dying out now due to the prevalence of cordless models) - but if I see one I just HAVE to untangle it.

Marineboy":1b0bba62 said:
I have that obsession too. In a previous life I inspected children’s homes, used to drive the staff mad when I pointed out the wonky picture frames. And my other beet noir is tangled phone handset cables (dying out now due to the prevalence of cordless models) - but if I see one I just HAVE to untangle it.

Yup..me too. Worked out why it happens. She picks the phone up with one hand replaces it with the other. Does my head in.

my grandad who sadly I never met was so in demand he had to turn down work as a plumber, this would have been in the 40s up to the 80s when he died, he got sacked from a manchester council job for being 'too good' according to my mum they told him to do a worse job and he refused, so he lost the work but was happy :D

Apparently, when Picasso was shown forgeries of his style, he would sign the ones he liked.
In the same spirit, I sometimes leave the predictive text suggestions, if they tickle me.
Just last week PT came up with the intriguing "pangolins of self-doubt".

Latest posts

Back