Plumbing help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, just fitted this float valve as a favour to someone and it's not shutting off? I thought I may have damaged it as the top funnel bit was hard to connect, so I got another. The 2nd is doing the same thing and not shutting off. What have I done wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20200916_115527.jpg
    IMG_20200916_115527.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 48
At the risk of sounding really stupid, and looking at the water marks, the water does get high enough to activate it doesn't it? (If you lift the lever attached to the float does the water turn off?)

It's really high pressure. I inserted the flow restrictor for higher pressure (for over 4bar) also tried without a restrictor, and also the under 4bar one.

If I move the float with my hand upwards, it still doesn't turn off, so my positioning isn't the issue, I don't think.

I would lower the float a lot. These types of valve tend to reach maximum fill and shut off suddenly, as opposed to the older ball valve types which gradually close off the feed. If that doesn't work dismantle and check for dirt?

They're both brand new and both did the same thing. Not shutting off at all, by water level or if i raise it using my hand.

Did you put the flow restrictor in the right way round? I'd take it off and make sure it works properly before re-fitting it.

Ah, it works when I move it REALLY slowly. Perhaps they're not made to be suddenly moved into the off position.

It’s an equilibrium ballvave & has to shut off as the water flow decreases it won’t work by just pulling the arm up quickly, as you’ve found.
Have you read the instructions that came with it, it will definitely want the flow restrictor & probably the float lowering.

If it works when you move it slowly I stand by my original question :) Are you absolutely sure the float is set low enough? (I'm just suspicious 'cos it looks like the float height and the water line in the cistern don't tally)

Thanks Guys all good tips. DOUG B is right. I just yanked it up with my hand to test and when it didn't work, I turned the water off so never tested it with a slow rise. Instructions didn't mention such a thing, so I assumed it wasn't going to work. All good now. Cheers for all your guidance.

A rubber seal missing? The one that closes the inlet?
That type of float assembly is the worst one you can buy it's cheap and nasty go to your nearest Toolstation and get the VEVO assembly viiva they do bottom entry top entry side entry get the one with the brass fitting more reliable easy to fit it and no more problems

That type of float assembly is the worst one you can buy it's cheap and nasty go to your nearest Toolstation and get the VEVO assembly viiva they do bottom entry top entry side entry get the one with the brass fitting more reliable easy to fit it and no more problems
The code number you want is 5 3067 brass shank it's £12.95 easy to fit an easy to adjust you will have no problems

Back