Plumbing help - shower waste

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I'm trying to fit a new shower tray for my parents to help them. This waste unit came with the shower tray but it only has one washer (for underneath as it's very thick).

It's been a while since I last fitted a shower tray waste and I seem to recall there should be two washers.

Do you think it's missing a skinny one for the top, and if so should I buy a generic one? Or do one units not have a top washer and j should just use sealant or plumbers mate?

Any guidance would be brilliant.

PXL_20210318_120917829.jpg

It threw me as well when I installed mine, I thought I was missing parts but no, as above they are like this now.

Just the rubber gasket underneath, and do not overtighten. I would only use a chromed brass waste not one of the cheaper plastic sorts. This one is good and remains looking good.

https://www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom-furniture-shower-taps/73709.htm
Not all traps are the same, depending on the waste pipe layout in your bathroom you may need a high flow type.

That's exactly the same trap that I fitted, I left my workshop ceiling open for about 4 months as there had been some dry rot from a previous extended leek and I wanted to make sure all was dry and clear. Just closed up a couple of weeks ago and the trap has been fine with just the lower washer.

Bought a new waste for my kitchen sink as old one started dripping and I overtightened it and it broke. The old one didn't have a top washer (20 years old) but the new one did (B & Q)

Back