Plumber refuses to service boiler ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
We made a big mistake 5 years ago and purchased a Trianco gas boiler. Trianco subsequently stopped making gas boilers and now when I want to get it serviced, my usual plumber has said he is not going to service it.

To make matters worse, at some point a cap on the heat exchanger has leaked. I can tell this as there is a very dry crusty deposit under the exchanger. A thorough check has revealed that it is not leaking and the exchanger is not cracked.

So frustrating as they want £1500 for a new boiler and I don't see anything wrong with the one we have. I just need it serviced.

Blister":1fjufia0 said:
Try 2 or 3 different gas service engineers :wink:
That is what I am going to do, but I get the impression most of them are only interested if there is big money to be made.

But then again, I suspect we are all guilty of that offence

If it's any help, when I needed a boiler serviced when selling my house I asked my estate agent who they recommended as they organise this sort of thing a lot for rentals. He came up trumps with a local firm not a one man band and they were cheaper than the one man band brigade too. My boiler was over 11 years old and had only been serviced once in that time as it worked fine.

Worth a try ringing your local agent.

Alan

Take a look on the Gas Safe website. My gas engineer is ex-British Gas, and servicing boilers and fires is his bread and butter. £45 for a boiler service.

Cheers

Karl

flanajb":aqxpokwh said:
Blister":aqxpokwh said:
Try 2 or 3 different gas service engineers :wink:
That is what I am going to do, but I get the impression most of them are only interested if there is big money to be made.

But then again, I suspect we are all guilty of that offence

Or it could just be that the boiler is a liability, and that the plumber isn't willing to put his job/career on the line.

That is always a possibility, but surely if they test it and it all comes back ok, then how can he be liable if something went wrong?

And equally if he finds something that he isn't happy with and can't be repaired, he'll condemn the boiler.

Latest posts

Back