Plugs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kierri

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm returning to woodworking after being poorly for years and discovered a problem with a machine.

I bought a ScheppachBTS800 dual sander nearly 3 years ago, that came with a wired EU ended plug and an EU to UK adapter plug. I just assumed, without looking properly, that they went together. I left them for nearly 3 years and then attempted to make them work the other day and discovered they don't fit together. Contacted the shop I bought it from and they sent another adapter that didn't fit and then told me they had no other plugs. Scheppach told me a travel adapter will do.

So if I buy a travel adapter with a 13amp fuse that only adapts and doesn't change the voltage, will this work? Because I think it says 16a on the EU end plug. I know precisely nothing. Please help.

Many thanks in advance,

Kierri

Photos of the existing plug, and motor rating plate would help.
You might be able to just cut off the plug and fit a UK standard.

Bod

Its listed at 370 watt.
Its out of warranty.
Cut the old plug off and fit a standard 13 amp 3 pin plug. Job done.

Without researching what kind of motor and start up current it takes, i would err on the side of 5 amp.
But its simple if a 3 blows to move to a 5, and even if the start up is so violent to blow a 5, even a 13 amp would be better than multiple dodgy connections on adapters ( hate the bluddy things).

Thanks for the input so far.

The plate on the side says: 230-240v 50hz P1 370w 2,2A

The EU plug says it's fitted with a 16 amp fuse.

Admittedly, I don't know anything about voltage etc. But I can rewire a plug - well, a UK one...

Is it definitely a euro plug? I seem to recall a funny adaptor which looked a bit like a euro plug but wasnt on a bandsaw once. That was possibly scheppach too.

2.2 amp is the operating load. 3 amp would be too close and would most likely blow on start up. 5 amp fuses arent as common to find as the other two sizes, but thats what I would use.
Doesnt matter what the original plug is rated for, its going in the bin. =D>

Latest update is: I had a guy from the original shop I bought it from, send me a variety of plugs that didn't fit and he said he hadn't realised it was a Scheppach. So he sent me the last one and it's a little bit weird... It fits upside down, but only just and it does start up the machine. However...

Scheppach, who told me a travel adapter would work with plenty of power and safety... Are now saying that a 13A fuse in the adapter would blow the machine. So she recommended a 16A fuse.

In short... Will this new Scheppach adapter blow the machine or shall I just rewire with a UK plug? If the machine is damaged, will it blow all the house electrics and explode in my face? Lol

This is too complicated for my academic brain.

WHOAAHH MULE!
Say what?
You have a plug that only fits upside down?
DO NOT USE THAT PLUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If its continental then the earth isnt making connection.
"She" says (backwards, but hey) "a 13 amp fuse will blow the machine"... on a 370 watt motor???

Save yourself some heartache and brain cells. Chop the plug off, fit a standard 13 amp plug. Brown to live blue to neutral, green yellow to earth.
If you really want, leave the 13 amp fuse in there. If that blows the fuse (very, very unlikely) all youve lost is 2 quid and then you can go get a 16 amp supply fitted.

What a lot of nonsense you've been told ! (and I'm not referring to comments by forum members here, just to be clear !)

This is sound :
sunnybob":3acy0fuf said:
Save yourself some heartache and brain cells. Chop the plug off, fit a standard 13 amp plug. Brown to live blue to neutral, green yellow to earth.
If you really want, leave the 13 amp fuse in there. If that blows the fuse (very, very unlikely) all youve lost is 2 quid and then you can go get a 16 amp supply fitted.

Don't mess with adaptors. They are usually cheap junk. Fit a proper plug. If sold in the UK it should have come with a UK plug. The only point I'd differ from sunnybob is I'd use a 5A fuse, just in case they've only used skinny (<=1 sq mm) flex, whatever it says about 16A on the old plug.

Edited to add: These days I'd be a bit suspicious about anything that arrived without a moulded on UK plug. Quite likely not made for the UK market, which might have warranty implications. Like a lot of the grey market kind of stuff lurking on Amazon.

Kierri":2rlqttuv said:
The EU plug says it's fitted with a 16 amp fuse.
I doubt that very much. An EU plug may be rated for 16 amps but I have never seen one with a fuse.

Kierri":2rlqttuv said:
Scheppach, who told me a travel adapter would work with plenty of power and safety... Are now saying that a 13A fuse in the adapter would blow the machine. So she recommended a 16A fuse.
This sounds like dodgy advice. As said, EU plugs don't have fuses. I have never seen a 16 amp fuse to fit a UK plug (or anything else). Also how can a 13 amp fuse "blow the machine" but a 16 amp fuse, which would allow greater current to flow, not "blow the machine". I know next to nothing about electrickery but this all sounds like BS to me.

Bob has the right idea. Chop off the EU plug and fit a UK plug. I do this in reverse regularly, putting EU plugs in place of UK plugs, and it is a simple and reliable solution. I also share Bob's hatred of adaptors, which can make poor connections and should be avoided whenever possible. The only "adaptor" option I use is to put an EU plug on a UK extension lead, or vice versa.

I have much fun and games here. Being a British dependency for so long,, the entire island is wired to UK specs and 13 amp sockets and plugs.
BUT.... everything in the shops comes from europe.
Whatever you buy electrical in a shop in cyprus they give you a free adaptor.
I ALWAYS cut the foreign plug and fit 13 amp. I was once warned by a local electrician that if there was a warranty problem they would not honour it. I replied that they would have to explain that in court to my solicitor.
Adaptors are the devils work :evil: :evil: :roll: :roll:

Sheffield Tony":35ezgzaj said:
Don't mess with adaptors. They are usually cheap junk. Fit a proper plug. If sold in the UK it should have come with a UK plug.
I have bought power tools from UK suppliers with a continental two pin plug inside a three pin adaptor - the adaptor opens up to allow its removal.

Out of curiosity, when fitted plugs were made compulsory the law used to state that it applied to DIY tools and that "professional" tools were exempt, so I'd still see decent gear without a plug. I don't know whether that is still technically correct.

It all got very silly in the late 90's. There was a time when all plugs HAD to be moulded. Mains leads had to be replaced entirely with the moulded plug and could only be done by an authorised person.
We had just started to implement that policy against very loud protests when the REAL WORLD intruded into the dreamers ideas and a bit of common sense prevailed.
Nowadays because of globalisation all that is required is that the appliance (if mobile) is supplied ready to plug in. A fixed appliance must be installed to national regs. by a qualified person

Back