Plug cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Veritas plug cutters?
Are they any use, as they don't look very functional? They don't look any more promising than the cheapo sets once available at Do It All!
TIA
John

I had one of the Veritas tapered ones with the 4 prongs. It worked fine but needs a pillar drill. I broke one using it on a cordless.

Many Thanks Folks.

My existing plug cutters I got from Clifton years ago. They look a bit burned, so decided to renew.
Decided to go with the sets at Wealden. Never had a duff deal with Wealden.
No Pillar drill, as such, but my morticer can also be used as a drill so no problem.
Decision made for me due to matching hole cutters. ☺

Thanks again

John

The Veritas were/are excellent cutters but unless they are re-designed, they need a pillar-drill or something similar.

As I no longer have one, I heard about a self-centreing plug cutter made by Hitachi that was equipped with spring-loaded pin, so it could be used in a conventional electric hand drill.
Bad news is, you can't get them in this country...... dunno why.

However, searching around I did find something similar at (sorry, boys) Rutlands made by Montana at about £25 for a set of three different sizes.

They were 'OK' and did the job but I soon found out that the cutting edges were not sharpened at all, and gave a raggy finish (good 'ol Rutlands). I took a diamond paddle sharpener to them and now they work fine.
So if you go for the Montana ones, be prepared to have to touch them up yourself.

The limitation I’ve found with plug cutters is that the plug isn’t particularly long. That’s OK if you’re plugging the top of a screw hole above the screw head. I use a Veritas cutter for that. They’re not much use if you’re drilling out and plugging a stripped screw hole. The last time I had to make a long plug I ended up passing a strip of wood through progressively smaller holes in a steel plate.

I cut long plugs by hand. I either start with an oversized dowel or square. Whatever I have to hand. I also have my own way of dealing with buried screws. I wanted to use plugged-over screws for construction and decided to update my plug cutter.

Cheers
John .

Plugs are not the same as dowels. The grain direction of a plug aligns with that of the wood with the hole in it. That makes it almost invisible, but more crucially means it will not rise above (or sink below) the surface of the surrounding wood, as an exposed dowel is almost certain to do during swings of humidity (which we do experience in the UK).

Thanks Vinn. If i want end grain to feature I use a dowel or square section. If i want a plug I use a plug cutter of the right size. Plug cutters are not really meant to extricate buried nails or screws . I think you'd agree?

John

The limitation I’ve found with plug cutters is that the plug isn’t particularly long. That’s OK if you’re plugging the top of a screw hole above the screw head. I use a Veritas cutter for that. They’re not much use if you’re drilling out and plugging a stripped screw hole. The last time I had to make a long plug I ended up passing a strip of wood through progressively smaller holes in a steel plate.

Roland. Just realised what you meant here. Plug cutters won't do what you mentioned. They aren't designed for that. I suppose they could manage, bùt I use a suitable diameter of mild steel tube, file some teeth on one end and chuck it in a drill stand. That works as a one time tool to remove buried screws.

John

Latest posts

Back