plug cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all, just bought a 'GENERAL' plug cutter , but every time I try to cut out a plug it hardly enters the wood and wood and cutter begin to overheat and burn up , drill isn't on reverse and have tried fast and slow speeds , whats goin on?

Blunt?

I haven't had this problem with my cutter but have onlyused it in fairly soft wood. Are you cuttijg hard wood as this may be a problem?

CHeers

Tony

Paul,
try cutting so that part of the cutter exits the side of the piece while stil cutting a full plug). This allows the sawdust to exit, preventing a lot of the overheating problem. Also, are you using a vice or hold down to make sure the wood doesn't move? That also helps.
regards,
Philly :D

Chris , its like the first one - Clico Precision except the top is totally flat with no teeth or seration. described as -self starting in hand held power drill, self ejecting , high carbon steel for long life , have tried it in red deal and maple , think I'll return it , cheers , Paul

Paul,
I think you got a lemon. I had to buy a Clico cutter like this once in a three quarter inch diameter after a cheapy failed to perform. The Clico worked perfectly but it was expensive!

Depending what you are trying to do, don't overlook holesaws and Forstner bits and circle (fly) cutters and routers. With everything except the Forstner bits you can make holes or plugs - although of course the diameters differ (which I know you knew but I didn't want to be accused of misleading anyone!)

Paul,
Before you send it back I forgot to ask-do you use the bit in a drill press or free-hand? I have a set of cheapies in the same style as yours and they work fine in my drill press using the method I described earlier. (And I mean they were CHEAP!)
Philly :D

Back