plug cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm huge fan of Star-M range of tooling.
The only bits I used that had a drawback were the clean exit ones. They did clean exit but at the expense of a slightly poor entry so to speak. Workshop heaven sell a : Plug Cutters - Drill Bits - Tools
cutter for what looks like a third of famag prices. They only sell a 10mm one and I've never used it either.so can't even offer amateur hour advice. Fine tools stock Star-M stuff. It really is excellent.
Might be worth looking for a supplier.

I lumped out recently on a set of their drillbits. It was a huge amount of money for me but it was worth it. Faultless tooling and an investment.
Psst. Don't tell the Missus!

+1 for the Wealden range. They are of course TCT tipped and mine are still sharp after 15 years. The larger plug cutters have to be run slowly and demand as much power as possible - why do manufactures put miserable 350 watt motors into bench drills ?

At the cheap end of the market I bought an Irwin plug cutter, fancy looking with a solid body and a single slot/cutter, looked “the business” but wouldnt cut plugs unless I really leaned on it in my big mains powered drill,,next up was a Lidls one, its got four rather flimsy looking legs as cutters but cuts tapered plugs with minimum effort in both hard and softwood, I dont use it a lot but it must have done 50 or 60 plugs and its still as good as new.

A big thanks to all the replies.

It looks like veritas is a popular choice, i have three of them and purchased a new veritas 10mm for this present job alas forty plugs later and looks like a bad day at the dentist ( lost three of the cutters) as i have another two hundred plus around six hundred on the next job i think i will be going down the tct route, the timber on both is yellow balau.

Clive.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the Trend Snappy drill/countersink (which have a counterbore size of 3/8in or 1/2in depending on the size of screw used) and their matching plug cutters and tube plug cutters. Reasonably accurate and resharpenable in my experience

TBH on some jobs it is easier to just buy in pre-manufactured pellet strips from places like Appleby Woodturners although that can depend on how figured the wood is

I use an Axminster barrel plug cutter in a cordless drill when doing skirtings/ door frames on site and it's really good. Decent price too I'm sure it was only 10-15 quid.

Back