Plough plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac445ab

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, :D
I am rehabbing this Preston plough plane.

25k3rsk.jpg

343nfro.jpg

I noticed it has a light skew in the seat (few degrees).
I thought these planes had only straight seat and iron.
In effect an iron set I have (bought separately) shows a light skew of blade and rounded edges.
Any advice?
Thanks
Ciao,
Giuliano :D

ac445ab":369bmpnc said:

Do you mean the mouth opening is skewed, or that the bedding has a slight error (and slope) in the left-right direction?

BugBear

bugbear":o7nja72x said:
ac445ab":o7nja72x said:

Do you mean the mouth opening is skewed, or that the bedding has a slight error (and slope) in the left-right direction?

BugBear

Yes, the bed is sloped in the right direction. The draw is a upper view of the plane body. In the rectangle are inserted iron and wedge.

xpymag.jpg

The skates are as I have seen in all other plough planes.
The wedge too is sloped in the same direction.
I added a pic showing (hope you can see it) the slight slope in the wedge.

Could be a production mistake? Or could make this a functional sense?

6r3d6x.jpg

Thank you
Giuliano
:D

ac445ab":smwlkrmt said:
The skates are as I have seen in all other plough planes.
The wedge too is sloped in the same direction.

That's a tiny angle; is the mouth skewed?

At the moment I'd say it's a production error. This is unusual for Preston, who are known for the quality of their work.

BugBear

You've got me thinking now!

Since the blades taper reasonably steeply toward the back this small amount of skew would not stop them cutting correctly.

However it may produce a shaving that curls out of the side of the plane better?

Seems odd that the bed, wedge and an entirely independant set of irons should all exhibit this characteristic.

Does anyone else have an untouched old plough lying around so that we can get a more significant statistic?

I've noticed that my wooden shoulder plane has a skewed iron and mouth so that it slices through the cut and chucks the shaving out the side in a spiral. Its nice for cutting cross grain on tenon cheeks.

It would make sense for the plough to be skewed too especially if it helps clear the shaving. I shall have a look through my untouched collection to see if there is anything similar.

My metal shoulder plane has a straight iron and it curls the shaving tight in the thoat so I have to poke it out every couple of strokes.

Same as Night Train here, re: the metal plane, no experience with wooden ones, sorry.

bugbear":1r8gz0ri said:
is the mouth skewed?

BugBear

The bed is slight sloped for all lenght of the throat. The metal plates that form the mouth do not seem to have anything stranger.

ac445ab":1kj1gu96 said:
bugbear":1kj1gu96 said:
is the mouth skewed?

BugBear

The bed is slight sloped for all lenght of the throat. The metal plates that form the mouth do not seem to have anything stranger.

Sorry - I was thinking of a fillister plane, where there *IS* a mouth; I forgot we were discussing a plough, which doesn't have a true mouth.

BugBear

Back