Pliers advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i'm looking for suggestions on pliers/cutting tool that will give a "non jagged/sharp" end to a cut piece of wire.

My girlfriend uses wire in a lot of her craft projects, some of which will be handled a lot, and up to now she has just used normal wire cutters or pliers to cut the wire. This however leaves a sharp end. She usualy just tucks it out of the way, but this is not ideal.

Apart from filing the end, is there anything that would leave a nice, safe, smoother end to a cut piece of wire?

Thanks for any advice.

Calv.

Only way to make a safe end is to flame cut it or melt the end with something like a little mapp gas torch which will discolour the wire but leave balled ends. Sandblasting will make a cut end safer but obviously etches everything else too.

If you are working with pre defined lengths I guess you could make the ends safe fairly easily before forming the wire.

commercial spring manufacturers use the tuck the sharp bit out of the way approach when possible so as she is doing now may be the best approach.

The electrical pliers may work for you depending on how big the wire is,I`m guessing your craft wire is not that heavy...You place wire thru the hole in the plier head and squeeze handles and you have a square cut.They sell for $16.oo over here but I am sure you probably have something like them over on your side of the pond....The pliers have about 6 sizes of wire openings.

Back