Please recommend an SDS drill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/det ... roduct=628

and it is a fantastic machine that hasn't faltered at anything, including chopping out 6m2 of 12" thick really really hard concrete in a day of non-stop running bar the odd lunch/tea break. When I say hard, our house was apparently at one stage owned by an Irishman who worked on the Thames Barrier. We have a charming concrete drive, a solid cast concrete garden wall, oh all sorts of lovely concrete. All seems to be the best quality rock (granite, not limestone) hard C30/40/50 engineering concrete. It got hot, very hot, but it carried on and still seems perfectly happy.

I have one of these but branded a little different, (got it for 39.99€! including 4 drill bits and a chisel) and I must admit I don't buy cheap power tools these days as they are all so bad, but this SDS drill of mine is the exception. It drill through re-enforced concrete like it was butter and has whipped off all the tiles in my bathroom renovation in a jiffy.
An absolute bargain. The only thing I did was lengthen the power lead as with all these cheaper tools 1 meter is always too short

I even bought a cheapo channeling chisel for it to run cables, and that not only does the job very well it is virtually dust free.

Assuming this one is the same as mine just re-badged you should not be disappointed.

Just don't forget to grease the bits when you insert them. And as I'm a DIYer what they are like for continuous use I do not know, but hey 39.99€ was way cheaper than the few hundred for a branded one! (at the time it was going to cost me 20€ to hire one for the weekend so I could drill the fixing bolt holds for all my machines in the workshop - so I said to myself even it it only lasts a year the extra 20 is worth it. That was 3.5 years ago. It will be definitely coming to Italy with me.

Hi Gidon,

Axminster have a Bosch GBH2-SR SDS+ drill for £92.52 on their clearance items list, and according to my Googling it has roto-stop. Might be a good option if you want a bargain?

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks for the all the helpful replies.
I checked on a after sales support number for Titan products - and this time I was assured that their SDS drill has got chisel postion lock. So I've gone ahead and ordered this one. It's only £40 and really will be used very occasionally. I'll probably still have to hire something for heavy jobs as I've done before. But at least it's not going to break the bank and it may handle some bigger jobs if I'm lucky. I'll report back ...
Thanks again all.
Cheers
Gidon

Well it arrived yesterday (the Screwfix Titan SF26S5) and I've had a little play. I think enough of a play (with Neil's help) to confirm that it does have chisel position lock. All together it does seem incredible value.
I like the way it arrived by Lynx - the box was open and the case with the drill was open too! I said I'd have to mark the box as damaged - the driver agreed as if it was nothing to do with him at all! Still all seems well.
Thanks for all the advice.
Cheers
Gidon

Back