PLEASE READ! Your Competition feedback needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks,

Your ever wonderful moderators (don't groan) have been tossing a few ideas for another competition to and fro - but we could do with some feedback from the potential entrants. i.e. You 'orrible lot. So:

1. So far we have a couple of thoughts for a potential project, but some more would be welcome. A quick PM to any of the Mods if you have one.

2. Using a "Strictly Come Dancing" voting system - 50% from the judges, 50% from the membership - has been suggested. Good idea? We think so, do you?

3. We'd go back to encouraging lots of WIP pics. For the digitally-challenged we'd need to arrange some sort of "picture buddy" scheme so ordinary prints could be scanned in on their behalf - would you volunteer? The more people who do, the lighter the load for everyone.

4. How much time d'you really need to get yourself in gear and get something entered? Too often there have been excuses of "not enough time" - so what is enough time? Within reason :roll:

Our biggest concern is your apathy. :? Frankly the last competition was a shambles - the number of entries was pathetic. On that showing, it's not worth the effort of setting one up. If there's no interest in this, then for heaven's sakes, say so. We'll simply auction off the prizes we already have for forum funds instead.

Thanks for your time,

Team Mod :D

OK, so I missed the last one..... Why not have two or three categories, such as "best weekend project", "most innovative/useful jig", "best children's furniture/wooden toy", "best built-in/home improvement" or "best indoor/outdoor joinery project", i.e. something which if specifically done for a competition won't impinge to greatly on the competitors time/resources but is likely to be something they's tackle. Also what about the "best project and diary"?

Scrit

Alf,

I am all for it even though I missed the last one. I'll try harder this time.

1) I really liked the Box Comp idea which encouraged new techniques, be they construction or finish - although that may exclude those that have done them all.

2) I agree with the new voting system so long as I am not left in the spot light at the end :lol:

3) I have a scanner so would be happy to help out if required.

4) That's the hardest one. I'd reckon 8 weeks should be ample for most to plan, prepare and perform.

If I come up with a stonkingly good idea for a project I'll let you know. As I have nearly finished an outdoor project perhaps that is a good one :lol:

How about the the 8' length of 4x2 to make anything you want? I know it has been done elsewhere but could be challenging and rewarding especially if we do not restrict timber choice. Split into hand tool & power tool perhaps?

If there are too many categories then perhaps the entries for each would be too few to be meaningful.

Andy

Folks,

Your ever wonderful moderators (don't groan) have been tossing a few ideas for another competition to and fro - but we could do with some feedback from the potential entrants. i.e. You 'orrible lot. So:

1. So far we have a couple of thoughts for a potential project, but some more would be welcome. A quick PM to any of the Mods if you have one.

I would love to enter a comp as long as the project was possible for a noob. The more experienced members would be best to suggest a project.
2. Using a "Strictly Come Dancing" voting system - 50% from the judges, 50% from the membership - has been suggested. Good idea? We think so, do you?
Yep seems fair. Takes away the buddy voting issue (if there is one)
3. We'd go back to encouraging lots of WIP pics. For the digitally-challenged we'd need to arrange some sort of "picture buddy" scheme so ordinary prints could be scanned in on their behalf - would you volunteer? The more people who do, the lighter the load for everyone.

I will help anyone if asked. I have scanner and webspace for hosting pictures etc.
4. How much time d'you really need to get yourself in gear and get something entered? Too often there have been excuses of "not enough time" - so what is enough time? Within reason Rolling Eyes

I guess we wont know until the project is decided. But the majority of people only have weekends and evenings, so maybe 6-8 weeks would be sensible.

Our biggest concern is your apathy. Confused Frankly the last competition was a shambles - the number of entries was pathetic. On that showing, it's not worth the effort of setting one up. If there's no interest in this, then for heaven's sakes, say so. We'll simply auction off the prizes we already have for forum funds instead.

I dont need prizes to get me going. Having someone else more experienced evaluate youre work is worthwhile enough.
Thanks for your time,

Team Mod Very Happy
No problem :D

Alf / Mods,

1: Perhaps a poll for the favoured competition ideas would be a good idea? I personally don't like anything too specific. At the end of the day most of us have limited time for woodwork - so we want to want to make the thing we're making :?. I quite like Scrit's weekend project idea but will have a think for some other ideas ...

2: Like that idea. Perhaps a weighting depending on the skill level of the entrant could be considered.

3: Count me in - happy to digitally assist anyone needing digital assistance.

4: 3 months.

Good luck and thanks for all your efforts.

Cheers

Gidon

I love the idea of a comp, make things a bit more interesting. I think 8 weeks is about right. Now might not be the best time to launch the comp tho. Very close to xmas and very cold! :wink:

gidon":4kr27nbb said:
At the end of the day most of us have limited time for woodwork - so we want to want to make the thing we're making :?.

Thats always my problem, my workshop time is precious and (for example) I couldn't justify making a table, when I've made several already and the time is needed to be spent on the items I need most urgently.

Scrit":4kr27nbb said:
"best project and diary"?
I like this idea, as it helps people see a project in tremendous detail.

Adam

Hi all

Does anyone have any objection to Mods being allowed to enter?

I like Scrit's idea of the best weekend project. I presume this is any project that could have been made in a weekend, but wouldn't have to have been.

I would like to suggest ten weeks as the duration, with WIP photos to be shown before seven weeks are up.

Cheers
Neil

about 8 weeks sounds good in the time department.
Like the ideas of 8' of 2x4 and the make in a weekend.
how about tool box, caddy or storage for a project.
can help with photo's if required.

Cheers Neil

Hi all

I think there are so many good ideas being put forward that I am spoilt for choice. The diary concept is excellent although I would personally be poor at that particular bit, but hey so what, it's entering the spirit that's important. I'm all for it. If anyone needs any help digitally or otherwise I am more than happy to offer my services.
I see no reason for mods not to enter.

Cheers Alan

Can I suggest a 3 month time window.

Once you add in timber conditioning time plus ordering and delivery, which can only occur after design and thinking time, its not difficult to see that the days will have flown by.

I nearly always quote 3 months to complete a job (and it always seems too short!)

Competitions get more entries when the rules are tighter in relation to subject matter so maybe the judges should be very specific.

Oh and before the pro vs am debate comes up can i put in a bid to not differentiate. There are a lot of amateurs on here who frankly have better kit, better skills and in some cases have been woodworking longer than I've been alive! The only stipulation should be that its personal ie not for commission/ sale and therefore fairly in the 'pastime' part of the day.

Cheers

Tim

Best Diary / commentary and pics should praps be 50 % of the value of points awarded so to speak. Often times much more interesting than pics of the finished thing.

Hand / power tool split would be good perhaps

8 weeks, I prevaricate so much that 8 months would be difficult - but 8 weeks would force me to concentrate a good thing.

If we have a 'What can you make out of this bit ?' sort of comp. Can I just submit a photo and call it 'Plank, Project, Plank' :wink:

It worked for this years Turner art prize ? :lol:

Jeff

I like Dedee's idea of stating a material size and make anything you like whether it be a sheet material or lumber size. This way everyone is at the same starting point.

I also like Scrit's idea of the diary the've made interesting threads in the past.

Damn!! I like them all. :D

don't mind helping out on the "picture buddy"

I missed the last competition, I didn't spot it till it had finished (or almost finished), so I'm definitely interested.

I like the diary idea. But perhaps it could be tweaked into more of a complete start to finish instructions guide. You choose a project and describe the whole process with nice pictures. Kind of like you get in your average woodwork magazine.
It could be marked on how interesting the project is, how well it's been described, how well the instructions can be followed etc.
The top ten could be compiled intp a nice booklet (I'm happy to do that) that everyone can download. That would be a nice addition to the site and something that could build up with a new edition each year.
It has the benefit that everyone loves the chance of showing off what they've done and how they did it ;-)

I like the idea of adopting the Strictly Come Dancing format . Can I make something with Anton Du Beke, please :mrgreen: ?

Gill (who's just found out that there's a beginners' dance class starting locally in January :D )

Gill":2yixrly4 said:
Can I make something with Anton Du Beke, please :mrgreen: ?
The mind boggles as to what... :wink: :lol:

Good stuff, folks, keep it coming. I think we can safely say there's some interest, which is good. And we'll certainly not be starting any comp before we've got the Christmas and New Year stuff out of the way.

As we seem to have largely wandered into competition ideas here rather than via PM (except for a couple of well-read souls, who I thank :) ) perhaps I should put forward the mods ideas so far:

• Tool making competition with three or four classes - they would all be hand tools such as marking gauges, chisels, planes and marking knives.

Some sort of portable tool storage. Portable meaning something designed so that one person can move it easily - even if that includes wheels. Tool storage including everything from a tool box, to blade/cutter storage, to garden/kitchen tools.
Bet if you try to guess which idea was mine you'll be very wrong :p

I very much like the idea of making the report the competition entry, but I worry that puts too much emphasis on entrants' word and picture ability rather than the woodworking. I also understand the worry about some folks feeling intimidated by the greater experience they might be in competition with. Suffice it to say, the judges will be urged to take into account the skill level of the entrants and ideas will have weight as well as execution. To be honest, I think we all probably do that naturally, every time we view anyone's completed projects.

And before I forget, many thanks to those of you who've already volunteered to help the digitally challenged. We're obleeged. :D

Cheers, Alf

I like AndyG's idea. It would be interesting to see someone else be able to produce you're work from the article. It would also make a good online source of free plans and instructions for future new members.

AndyG":1xr0pu2h said:
I missed the last competition, I didn't spot it till it had finished (or almost finished), so I'm definitely interested.

I like the diary idea. But perhaps it could be tweaked into more of a complete start to finish instructions guide. You choose a project and describe the whole process with nice pictures. Kind of like you get in your average woodwork magazine.
It could be marked on how interesting the project is, how well it's been described, how well the instructions can be followed etc.
The top ten could be compiled intp a nice booklet (I'm happy to do that) that everyone can download. That would be a nice addition to the site and something that could build up with a new edition each year.
It has the benefit that everyone loves the chance of showing off what they've done and how they did it ;-)

Alf":ohdf8c44 said:
  • Tool making competition with three or four classes - they would all be hand tools such as marking gauges, chisels, planes and marking knives.

Suspect Ian might wipe the floor with everyone in a toolmaking/planemaking comp!

Tool making competition with three or four classes - they would all be hand tools such as marking gauges, chisels, planes and marking knives.

Some sort of portable tool storage. Portable meaning something designed so that one person can move it easily - even if that includes wheels. Tool storage including everything from a tool box, to blade/cutter storage, to garden/kitchen tools.

I'm not sure this is the right direction - I think a lot of us (and I do include me here) spend a lot of time making things for the workshop and not enough time making things for outside the workshop.

A project that can give others pleasure ie those who wonder what it is that goes on in the workshop and a not so subtle bargaining tool chip - "but love I can't make one of those without one of these" etc. I don't mind what it is but how about something that you'd be happy to give to someone else as a present - suggests its not too expensive.

Cheers

Tim

Back