Please help with my next Lee Valley/Veritas purchase!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

IMy birthday just passed and I now have some birthday cash kept aside for my next Lee Valley/Veritas purchase. My trouble is that I don't know which way to go with my purchase. Let me explain. I have a fairly well equipped shop and don't really need any other power tools so now I try to focus on buying good quality hand tools. I have a passion for them. At this point I am trying to decide what plane etc. to buy next. I have sort of narrowed it to a LV LAJ, LV Bullnose/chisel plane or a LV medium shoulder plane. My plane collection currently contains older Stanleys 3,4,5,5 1/2, 6,7and my latest, the Bed Rock 608. I also own the Veritas LA Block and Veritas 5 1/4 bench plane. As you can see I do not as of yet have a Bevel up plane. Hence why I am thinking of the LAJ. At the same time I keep wondering if I need another plane of bench plane style and maybe i should go with one of the shoulder planes instead, mainly the Bullnose or Medium Shoulder. Trouble with that is that I don't really get into mortise and tenon ever (or haven't as of yet but maybe this type of equip would allow to get into this a bit more-not sure)so I don't think I would use the Shoulder plane all that much. I am thinking of the LAJ as a shooting board plane mostly. I should also say that I am thinking of the Veritas Router plane as well.

What did all of you guys do when purchasing your plane collections? I just don't want to buy something that is going to sit in the box and never get used. I would appreciate any help as to the best way to "fully" equip my shop without tools that won't get used. Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks for reading and your help.

Kevin

If you want something that's going to be used, I'd find a project to suit the plane before you get it. Seeing as you have so many bench planes I'd go for the medium shoulder and plan something nice with M&T joints to use it :)

Back