Please help on preparing wood prior to cutting joints!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffy

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm quite new here and would like some basic advice. I'm starting to get into woodwork more and starting to learn about proper joints. However the teaching material I'm planning to use doesn't have much about preparing the wood beforehand.

I've read that you should plane the face and edge and then use those to mark the opposite side and edge and plane to the marking gauge mark. My question is: what is the best way to get the ends smooth and square? Is it handcut with wastewood to spare and then plane it down with a shooting board? A book I've got talks of using a table saw but I cant get mine to cut square.

Can anybody direct me to general advice about preparing wood before the cutting of joints?

Many thanks
Chris :D

Depends what you are making but often the ends are left over long and then trimmed after the thing has been made. It's easier to plane the end of a stile or a through tenon, after it has all been joined up.

I'd recommend Jeff Gorman's notes at http://www.amgron.clara.net/ - they sum up the basics of marking and measuring as it used to be taught in school (and a whole lot more, which will be very useful when you get on to cutting the joints!)

One superb trick from the Tips and Wrinkles thread....

When planing a face down to a gauged line plane a bevel all around to the line (easy) and then plane the face until the bevel disappears on each edge. Simples! :wink:

Jim

About a fortnight ago, I bought a copy of 'The Essential Woodworker' by Robert Wearing from Axminster Power Tool Centre (it's in the DVDs and Books section of the website under 'Carpentry and Joinery') for £15.99

It has a superb description of how to prepare rough timber, aimed at the complete beginner. How to sharpen and set the plane, how to hold the wood, the sequence of actions to achieve flat, true boards of accurate width and thickness. It then goes on to describe joint cutting, making a 'proper' table, carcase construction including how to make and fit proper backs and plinths, how to glue up successfully and how to clean up after assembly. Also frame-and-panel construction for doors and the like, drawer making and fitting, hinge and lock fitting.

It's written in a straightforward style, with lots of simple but informative diagrams.

It's worth every penny - sounds just what you're looking for. I'm very glad I bought a copy.

(I gather it's a reprint of a book first published in 1988. A rootle on the second-hand book sites suggests that original copies fetch 'collectors' prices, and Amazon denied all knowledge of the existence of the reprint - so it looks like APTC is the sole source at the present.)

Thanks everyone for your comments. Looks like i'm gonna get the Essential woodworker book. Also the PDF looks very useful. For now though i'm going to cut ends with handsaw and tidy with shooting board..

Chris

Latest posts

Back