Please Help - Don't know what glue to use outside door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martkt10

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm repairing the bottom of a timber exterior door frame, i have cut out the rotten part and i don't know what kind of glue i should use to glue in the replacement wood,
Screwfix and B & Q were no help!

Anybody got any tips , there are too many choices

Many thanks (hammer)

martkt10":2gqa5pz1 said:
I'm repairing the bottom of a timber exterior door frame, i have cut out the rotten part and i don't know what kind of glue i should use to glue in the replacement wood,

Some form of polyurethane glue such as Soudal Pro 45p would work well, 100% waterproof. The only drawback is that it can be messy with the expansion of the foam (Don't even attempt to clean when wet, leave it to expand and dry and just peel it off) and it's a rather quick setting glue which starts to cure after a couple of minutes, usually hard within an hour.

Cascamite is also a good choice as it is also 100% waterproof, but most don't want to bother with the mixing of the powder and wastage, etc... especially when doing such a small one off job. Good thing is that it's very slow to cure and has a long open time so if you're doing a job where a rush isn't ideal and it's best to take it slow, Cascamite is the best bet. The clean up of Cascamite is the reverse of the advice I've given for polyurethane glues, it's best to clean the excess off with a wet rag when the glue is wet, because once the glue cures it sets like glass and is very hard to chip off after the fact.

Back