Play in Pocket Hole Jig/Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's faulty send it back!

I have a Kreg which is spot on accurate and I know there's a big difference in price but yours doesn't do the job it was sold to do and is therefore not fit for purpose.

I've had it 2 months now but just had time to use it today. Will see what shop says. Thanks

Within 6-months they have to show it was made acceptably, however, Rutlands...

let us know how you get on

It cant be chewing into the Alloy block surely.....?? It must have hardened bushes fitted as guides for the drill bit...??

I have an earlier Dakota version which I believe came from Rutlands. I got it second hand from a member on here. Had it for quite a few years now and although there is admittedly a bit of play in the bushes/ drill bit, it still works more than adequately.

thanks but this wes a test really and and I purchased for birch ply not the HPL. That said there is still a lot of play in the drill bit. Just wondered if anyone had a Kreg to see if theirs was the same. I cant recall the trend ones having as much play.

Thanks,
I’ve just been using my Kreg jig today , the amount of play in the jig is zero, there is enough clearance for the drill bit to rotate but nothing more.
With the Kreg bit in the guide it would be impossible to insert a 1mm wide piece of typing paper.

your jig is faulty and should be returned

Yes hardened bushes but due to the play the bit is starting to mark into aluminium block.

I’ve just been using my Kreg jig today , the amount of play in the jig is zero, there is enough clearance for the drill bit to rotate but nothing more.
With the Kreg bit in the guide it would be impossible to insert a 1mm wide piece of typing paper.

your jig is faulty and should be returned
Thanks. I'm off to local shop to check out the Kreg. Only thing put me off kreg to begin with was the imperial markings. I know you can get a metric block but surely thy should have a metric kit available. Cheers

Just watching video and it shows a metric Kreg. 1st time i seen one....

Thanks. I'm off to local shop to check out the Kreg. Only thing put me off kreg to begin with was the imperial markings. I know you can get a metric block but surely thy should have a metric kit available. Cheers
I don’t have the K5 jig, it wasn’t released when I got my K4, over the years I’ve used every bit of the supplied parts apart from the distance stop, I have got the small block and drill bit for narrow stock that works as well as the big bit.
A labler works well to adapt from imperial markings.
F2A63025-EF79-40CF-BE49-933DDA85DB70.jpeg

I don’t have the K5 jig, it wasn’t released when I got my K4, over the years I’ve used every bit of the supplied parts apart from the distance stop, I have got the small block and drill bit for narrow stock that works as well as the big bit.
A labler works well to adapt from imperial markings.View attachment 104669
Is it only the k5 jig available in metric or new k4? Cheers

Hi all,

On closer inspection today I can see that the drill is not going through straight as can be seen by the scoring to the aluminium block and the angle of the drills are not the same, as can be seen by the different distance from the base of the block to the drill guide hole.

I think overall the product is good but the key element, accuracy is lacking. This accuracy will only get worse over time, I have only drilled 8 x holes in wood. The guide bush should protrude the full length of the drill hole as per the Kreg, if it did it would be a good jig

Attachments

• PH2.jpg
    PH2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 21
I use the Trend jig that Doug linked to (bought about a year ago) and I've no complaints. I did have to drill/tap an extra set of mounting holes, so I could use the clamp with thicker stock but otherwise great. Can confirm there's very little play between the bit and the guides.
FWIW, the square driver bit that came with the kit was rubbish, but I bought the Trend Snappy set and they're just perfect.

Back