Play in Pocket Hole Jig/Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tadge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, Just got my first pocket hole jug form Rutlands. While it seem solid, there is an amount of play in the drill guide when the drill is inserted, This mean the point of the drill can deviate position by about 4mm. I noticed this as on 15mm thick wood while testing and the screw does not go into the wood evenly. I know this is not a ‘precision’ tool as such but was expecting the guide to be a tighter fit.

Granted the guide can’t be tight but Is this normal in all jigs? I suspect the guide play will get worse as the drill goes in and round out the guide.

Also It took 3 attempts to get a straight screwdriver bit from them so I am not convinced of the quality of this tool..

Thanks

Ian

It came with the kit. Im experiencing HPL breakout quite badly so assume its the wobble in drill..

Attachments

• 20210226_164650.jpg
    20210226_164650.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 55
If you are using a Pocket Hole jig & HSS drill bit on HPL then I'm afraid you will get breakout such as you are seeing.
You tend to see it far worse on one edge of the pocket than the other due to the way the drill bit enters & exits the material as it rotates.

If you are using a Pocket Hole jig & HSS drill bit on HPL then I'm afraid you will get breakout such as you are seeing.
You tend to see it far worse on one edge of the pocket than the other due to the way the drill bit enters & exits the material as it rotates.
thanks but this wes a test really and and I purchased for birch ply not the HPL. That said there is still a lot of play in the drill bit. Just wondered if anyone had a Kreg to see if theirs was the same. I cant recall the trend ones having as much play.

Thanks,

thanks but this wes a test really and and I purchased for birch ply not the HPL. That said there is still a lot of play in the drill bit. Just wondered if anyone had a Kreg to see if theirs was the same. I cant recall the trend ones having as much play.

Thanks,
Ok I'll try to clarify. The drill guide bushes are larger diameter than the drill bit meaning the drill bit is not guided centrally. If I put the drill fully in the guide and I wobble the bit, the point can deflect 5mm. I though the guide would be closer diameter to the drill so there is less deflection. From an engineering point of view I would say so, however this is my first jig so perhaps this is the tolerance in all of them.

Thanks

Do you possibly have a set of Vernier calipers that you can use to measure the diameter of the drill bit and the diameter of the guide Bush...?

I’m afraid that’s Rutlands for you.

Most of us wouldn’t buy from them.

Some play is essential though, I’d not conflate the breakout problem with a location problem

Aidan

Measure the bit and the bush and return it. The bit should enter the bush easily but pretty snug, if it rattles about it's not right and it will also destroy the aluminium block.

Ok I'll try to clarify. The drill guide bushes are larger diameter than the drill bit meaning the drill bit is not guided centrally. If I put the drill fully in the guide and I wobble the bit, the point can deflect 5mm. I though the guide would be closer diameter to the drill so there is less deflection. From an engineering point of view I would say so, however this is my first jig so perhaps this is the tolerance in all of them.

Thanks

Nobody ever uses a pocket hole jig with the drill fully extended through the guide.

Measure the bit and the bush and return it. The bit should enter the bush easily but pretty snug, if it rattles about it's not right and it will also destroy the aluminium block.
yep already started to score into the block

Return it, quality control of these Chinese clones not going to be up to Kreg standard.

If it's from Rutlands surely it won't be the jig as it will be Premium, Precision accuracy, CNC machined and have all 5 star reviews? :unsure: 😂

No there shouldn't be that much play between the bit and bush, obviously it can't be tight but it should drill a nice straight hole.

If it's from Rutlands surely it won't be the jig as it will be Premium, Precision accuracy, CNC machined and have all 5 star reviews? :unsure: 😂

No there shouldn't be that much play between the bit and bush, obviously it can't be tight but it should drill a nice straight hole.
Well.thats how it was described.:confused:

Latest posts

Back