Platform for ladders setup - where to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after something like this:
platform.jpg

For roofing my shed! Where can you get something like this? All I have is a step ladder so ideally would like something like that above - a couple of ladders and a platform that can hook across them. Or other suggestions.
Thanks
Gidon

With the current position of the HSE and ladders I doubt anyone will be selling them as any company would have to do that work from a scaffold there is not sufficient demand from the DIY market. Its a different situation in the US where that picture originates from.

I would suggest an alloy tower with outriggers or several bandstands and scaffold boards

I'm assuming its the brackets you want, not just the platform which can easily be bought as "youngmans stagings"

Jason

Platform scaffold is the way to go - things like the one in the picture give me nightmares. I could never even consider it on one of my sites, in fact we wouldn't even allow a tower to be used unless it was erected by someone holding a PASMA ticket and if it had a valid Scafftag on it...!

Before we go off on one about H&S gone mad, you need to think about your own safety. In a domestic environment you don't need the PASMA or Scafftag, but the tower is the best way to go. On a ladder you need 3 points of contact to be safe - the guy on the ladder is obviously happy with 1 but I wouldn't be. As soon as you have 3 points of contact with the ladder you can't do a lot of work, as you only have one hand to use. A platform with a handrail is the answer as you can use both hands and work without falling off.

Cheers, Ed

Well, you <could> make yourself a couple of angled brackets to sit on the rungs of the ladders to hold a scaffold board. BUT, as others say, there are much safer ways to do it, especially if your shed is more than 7 or 8 feet to the eaves.

Arbeitsgeruest-2.jpg

I've seen similar to these being used all over by fascia replacement companies. They look safe to me provided erected correctly. :roll:

There are some interesting setups out in the states, although in most cases now they are wearing harnesses as fail safe.

Won't mention a few platforms I've found myself on! You always think it'll be fine but on one occasion whilst perched on the most ridiculous setup you could imagine it did as expected and collapsed with two of us on it. I was fortunate enough to grab the roof laths we were nailing, the other fella wasn't so fortunate and snapped his ankle when he hit the ground!

I'll dig out a pic of some scaffolding I saw in India!! Now it really is something to see!! :D

I was working on the site next door to this on the day it happened;

http://www.contractjournal.com/Articles ... hotos.html

Seeing the aftermath of that will stay with me forever, and although we are talking about works on a different scale here it is nonetheless a reminder of the potential implications. Geno's post appears to confirm what can happen when you improvise on a smaller scale.

Cheers, Ed

Mattty":2qo2y8mf said:
Arbeitsgeruest-2.jpg

I've seen similar to these being used all over by fascia replacement companies. They look safe to me provided erected correctly. :roll:

I want to know how he got up the ladder and onto the platform ?

Paul

OK thanks chaps - hadn't quite anticipated how difficult getting on the roof would be. Already had a nightmare trying to lay the OSB sheathing and the underfelt - borrowed my neighbour's ladder and built the hook thing you can see in this pic:
S6300536_edited-1.jpg

But didn't feel that safe and not very practical - even less so for laying the felt shingles.
I did find this:

But not sure if it'll do it - says safe working height only 0.7m.
Or I'll have to hire a scaffold tower ...
Thanks again,
Gidon

Hire an 8x2 tower, all the legs can be adjusted individually which you will need with your sloping ground. Use the outriggers and to be safe tie it tie the shed through the window opening.

Paul, I expect there is a flap at one end of the platform that you climb through.

Jason

CNC Paul":369glizs said:
Mattty":369glizs said:
Arbeitsgeruest-2.jpg

Paul

There's a hatch in the floor of the platform- Like they have on scaffold towers.

How they get the platform up there though?? :shock:

Gidon- It's a tough job there on such a sloping site. Personally i would do that job with 2 bandstands sat on level ground (a few concrete blocks or flags etc would do to level up) with a decent platform across.

Better still though find a local scaffolder and get small scaffold set up. It won't be that pricy.

Jason,

I did think that from the double cross rails near the end, I still would not be happy :(

The chains on the ends are a bit dangerous as they seem to be about knee high.... just right for falling over.
Paul

Just out of interest.

If you pop into a travis perkins branch and pick up a copy of there 'builders magazine'

I see that ladder set up advertised in its adverts section every month.

Just dont have a mag at the moment, but there was a website...

Thanks Hitch - love this one:
human%20chain-thumb.jpg

Will ask at T&P thanks.
Been quoted £35 for an 8x2 tower for the weekend so may go that way - thanks Jason.
Flippin' underfelt blew and tore off in the winds we had here at the weekend - arghh!!!
Thanks all - very sound advice.
I'm going to keep an eye on Ebay for some tower scaffold too I thinl/
Cheers
Gidon

Back