Plastic thrust bearing - I think

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Im after just whats in the picture. In plastic around 100mm external and under £5. This is for a product line hence it needs to be as cheap as I can get them and if they cost much more its not worth me using then.

Not looking for a bulk order just yet, ill order either 1 or say 10 to start with so I can prototype.

I believe there called thrust bearings but can only find metal ones and at 100mm there stupid money. Plus I only need the internal part of the thrust bearing, not the tracks they run in.

Plastic isn't mandatory its just cheaper. BB's don't need to be supplied, I can get them separate if need be. Size of the bearing and amount of BB's is all flexible.

Anyone know anywhere I can get one or some? I have been googling for a hour or so with little luck.

Attachments

• Bearing.jpg
    Bearing.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 231
I'm with the bear! They are swivel mount bearings by the look of them. There are companies that supply them but for low cost applications the supply quantity is normally large. Working with those turntable bearings will provide reliable prototypes till volume dictates a change to cheap stand-alone bearings

Aidan

Cheers Guys

As it happens the one in the picture was pulled from a Lazy Susan so im sure them bearings from axi will do the trick. How do they work??

Are them chain spacers just large washers??

2 steel plates with a ball race stamped into each one and the balls obviously run in that. They are held together by the centre of one plate being swaged over the centre of the other one. I have just bought 4 just before Christmas for some presents of lazy susans. The ones I got were the 6" (150mm) ones and that is the diameter of the ball race and not the overall size.

At £2 a time, including the dreaded, they have got to be worth a look me-thinks? Can you say what they are for, me being a nosey sod an all :mrgreen:

They come complete. There is no way that you can take them apart..

You could always do what I did when I made the first lazy susan. 17" diameter, 36 5/8" elm balls turned by me and it works perfectly smoothly. Oh, and I don't have a ball turning jig, all done by eye and an old 'very near". You may know it as a vernier, but what the heck :mrgreen:

Lazysa.jpg

The practice was good for me :? :?

Ah now that was my first idea but using steel BB's. Nice work getting all them perfect, well out my skill range on a lathe me thinks.

Them Axi bearings sounds great. If I order 10 thats only £25 delivered so £2.50 a unit, well under my limit. My only concern is when Axi are out of stock, there out of stock for a while.

646.30.300 from Hafele a bit bigger than you want but only £1.67 each + vat if you buy 10

As I said, the lazy susans I have done with the Axi bearings were done with the 150m jobbie and I found that the smallest size I could do was 10". I turned the base as small as poss and that was 9" and recessed the bearing to 1/2 of its depth. Then the top was turned to give about a 3/8" wide shoulder around the base and the recess was deep enough to just overlap the base. That way the bearing is free to turn but can't be seen.

LazysAxibearing.jpg

And with some pyrography I think it makes for a nice pressie

Lauraslazysue.jpg

Edit : - £1.79 each for 10 from Axi and the size you want :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back