Plastic storage boxes for screws etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
I want something clear so I can see the contents, and with some sort of handle/ pull arrangement. These boxes need to be robust and because I'll want a couple of dozen of them at least, they mustn't cost a fortune. They don't need their own rack, as I'll just build suitable shelves. What I'm not so sure about is having "bins" with their lowered and sloped front, because they will simply collect dust.

What do you use?

I keep them in the cardboard boxes they come in. Just rip off the side tabs so the top stays open.
Then I write in magic marker on the inside of the lid the size and length so I can see them easily.

I used to keep them in little wooden boxes built into a large drawer and it was a complete pain (literally) having to dig my fingers into the sharp screws to retrieve them.
They are all in one large drawer and now i just lift the required box, shake some into my hand, and put the box back.
Make sure you have enough boxes to fill the drawer enough that nothing can fall over and by the time the box is empty its worn out anyway and a new box is added to the drawer.

That's what I do at the moment, and what I want to get away from. I have dozens and dozens of containers of screws, staples, fencing staples, nails, pins, springs, washers, machine screws, hand-made nails, assorted nuts, wall plugs, corner blocks, brackets, chains, chord, and on and on and on........and I want them properly organised rather than occupying half a wall. I am taking my current storage apart shortly to make a proper tool storage cabinet and get all this tut sorted and out of the way. I found myself sketching little ply boxes 100w x 170d x 75 h, then realised just how many I'd have to make........

This isn't half of it:

InEuxeA.jpg

I use a series of the Lidl powerfix ones in a drawer type setup in a cabinet I built. They are cheap and have a clear top so you can see inside....

11fb74df46a20f37038203c478a55a73.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Very neat, Bodgers. However, I want individual boxes rather than those mixed storage thingamejigs. I tend to have larger quantities than work with those......and when you drop one of those mixed boxes, it's a nightmare.

I was faced with a similar issue for all my odds and ends. Some 3mm MDF with slots in did the trick (same width as saw blade)
31e2f65a888ffe61d45ec49750dfd10d.jpg

Really quick to do if you've already got drawers.
52b76d991be80b942bb23a4afbc94aae.jpg

Leaving out a division allows for longer stuff.
463e20bafdfb4a6b5fc6aad8025bfb4c.jpg

Not quite what you were after but its quick and cheap. 'Really useful box' do something like what you're after...I think

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Gerry":3hu7xyq9 said:
If you have a Boyes store nearby......

I've never heard of them, Gerry, so there can't be any near here. Are you sure there are still some near you? Their website isn't working ATM.

Guys, I don't want those "organiser" boxes with multiple compartments inside. I've got 4 or 5 of them already, and they are definitely not what I am after for the workshop. I want individual boxes: 1 box, one product inside.

MikeG.":2w2ikbh5 said:
Guys, I don't want those "organiser" boxes with multiple compartments inside. I've got 4 or 5 of them already, and they are definitely not what I am after for the workshop. I want individual boxes: 1 box, one product inside.
my suggestion above seems to tick all your boxes i think... (Pun intended)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The Homebase link was just one of a range, but even the larger drawers have completely removable partitions.

Latest posts

Back