Plastic circular centre finder ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
I seem to have mislaid my large plastic circular centre finder I used for bowl blanks, can't seem to find any online, anyone know where they might be available, save me having to make one as I hate cutting thin plastic sheet ?!!

It was a large diameter circle of clear plastic with a centre hole and then holes every half inch along the radius to take your pencil/pen and the corresponding circles drawn on it, brilliant for centring grain patterns/features in a bowl blank in a way that's not easy when just using a pair of compasses, and then drawing whatever diameter wanted and leaving a centre mark for lathe mounting.

That's the kind of thing ! Thanks.

Ideally would be bigger, and round, if any more out there anywhere ?

I have this one which I drilled extra holes in to suit my needs I brought it at a woodworking show from Jenni Starbuck who does some fantastic work

DSCF3194 (800x600).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF3194 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF3194 (800x600).jpg
    125 KB · Views: 1,869
I can cut you a larger one on my laser if it helps.
Just let me know what size you need (can't do any larger than 900mm dia, sorry ;-)

As Dalboy said, Jenny Starbuck. She goes to quite a few woodworking shows and sells them there and I think I'm correct in saying that the proceeds go to charity.
I couldn't see it on her website, www.artycraftywoodturning.com, but you can always email her. She's a lovely lady and there are loads of useful tips on her website.
Duncan

Duncan A":i98ojqqh said:
As Dalboy said, Jenny Starbuck. She goes to quite a few woodworking shows and sells them there and I think I'm correct in saying that the proceeds go to charity.
I couldn't see it on her website, http://www.artycraftywoodturning.com, but you can always email her. She's a lovely lady and there are loads of useful tips on her website.
Duncan
I got mine at one of the shows. I agree she is very helpful.

Duncan A":205pyljn said:
I couldn't see it on her website, http://www.artycraftywoodturning.com, but you can always email her. She's a lovely lady and there are loads of useful tips on her website.
Duncan
Best of all it's only £5.

Dalboy":3tjd79k7 said:
I have this one which I drilled extra holes in to suit my needs I brought it at a woodworking show from Jenni Starbuck who does some fantastic work

How big is this one please ?

paulm":2uyclhlp said:
Dalboy":2uyclhlp said:

About 11" diameter but you may need to drill extra holes like I did as it is mainly used as a divider

Dalboy":s2g7ocv0 said:
paulm":s2g7ocv0 said:
Dalboy":s2g7ocv0 said:

About 11" diameter but you may need to drill extra holes like I did as it is mainly used as a divider

Not sure where to get these nowadays but I bought mine at a show from Jenni as well. Wouldn’t be without it.

Making Shavings":20sbvmmj said:
I can cut you a larger one on my laser if it helps.
Just let me know what size you need (can't do any larger than 900mm dia, sorry ;-)

One very happy woodturner here today after the postie dropped off this :D

A full 16" diameter in 3mm perspex (mixing measurements I know, always seem to do that !), and all marked out to make positioning of grain and features a doddle.

Many, many thanks to Paul of Clearview Design aka "Making Shavings" for the time and trouble he went to, couldn't be more pleased =D> :D

Could well be a market for these here, the Stiles & Bates one is a bit small for me at around 11" I think, and is square which isn't ideal, and Jenny's one is a bit on the small side for me too, the Craft Designs US one was what I had before but silly expensive to ship from the US and not anywhere as good as this one turned out 8)

What nice folk you meet here on the forum, thanks again Paul :-D

that really looks the biz.
Nicely done and great to see people helping each other. :)
thumb up from me Making Shavings.

Thanks Kirso. Going to add another 4 radial lines- bugbear tells me that smaller face plates only have 3 holes, not 4. 12 radial lines in total will mean these can be used on faceplates that have 3&4 holes (mine has 8 in total, different fixing diameters)

Hopefully this 'attach an image' thing works.
I've added 4 more radial lines, so there's 12 in total now.

Attachments

• IMG_5835.jpg
    IMG_5835.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 483

Latest posts

Back