plastering....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMoore

Established Member
Reaction score
i know its a little off of the woodworking scene, but i was rather hoping that someone here has a knowledge of plastering??
we r on a big job at the moment and our plasterer has jus let us down
i have been searching the net to find a basic guide, but cant find one!
its going directly onto drylines walls and ceilings,
its mainly the processes involved, and at what time you do them,
ie after i apply the plaster, how long before i trowel up the first time, then the second etc etc

thanks!

Might be worth seeking advice on the www.askthetrades.co.uk forums.

Plastering is one of those skills I very deliberately don't offer. I tried it on a small wall section in my home some 25 years ago, got it smooth etc. Went to bed, and next morning came down to find it had formed a "bump" at the bottom - the mix was obviously too wet, causing it to sag.

It's a skill that is gained by experience. A good plasterer is worth his weight etc.

Andrew

They also have wrists of steel!

My limited attempts at plastering resulted in about 10% on the wall, and the rest on the floor!

Needless to say I gave up and got a pro in! :)

matt dont try and do it yourself 1 you need to be quick 2 your arms will feel like they are dropping off 3 you will just make a mess and will have to pay more to get it put right . find another plasterer . do the labouring for him and sweat just watching him work . what your talking about is skimming over p/boards the first coat is about 1/8 when that has gone off but not dry you put the second skim coat on , then when that feels about right you polish it with a wet trowel jobs done . its easy but just takes a bit of time to learn .

frank

Hi Matt

In the DIY world there's not much I won't have a go at. Playing with gas is one and plastering is another. Even if you manage to get it on the wall, there will be a world of difference compared to a pro job and you will spend an age trying to get a satisfactory surface. A bad plastering job sticks out like a sore thumb.

Get a pro in mate.

Jeff

well, the main problem i am faced with is that we have such a lack of time,
i work with my dad and he has tried and admitts he cant do it.
i had a small go today and it didnt go too badly, i watch the plasterer before for a long time
and consequently got a few tips,
but its definetly something i wanna stick with,
the real problem i had today was getting it right between trowelling the wall smooth, sometimes it was too soon, others too late
ahh well, all a learning curve!

Matt

Unfortunately I had to do a lot of plastering in our previous home. One trick I was told be a pro is to put a little washing up liquid in the mix as this helps when smoothing. Also, after applying it, leave it a little while and then smooth with a very wet float

Matt
Put this in Google - "Plastering a wall - without plastering skills" - then look under groups. This is a thread on plastering from uk d-i-y, look for the post by meoww.

I've plastered a few rooms in the last few years, secret seems to be to use base coat to get it flat then finish coat to get it smooth.

Toby

Latest posts

Back