Plasma cutter back in Lidl 17 Feb £149

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone explain the proviso in the product details about being not suitable for a low voltage...... supply? Does it come with a 13A 3 pin plug or not?

They are just covering themselves in that the internal electronics generate all sorts of interference and the machine does not include effective filtering. The reference to low voltage is just a way of identifying domestic installations. I would be very surprised if it is not fitted with a 13amp plug. - check before you buy

They are serious bits of kit, one error and you will be in hospital. If you don’t know how to use one, this isn’t the kind of thing you want to learn by trial and error or uTube videos.

Anyone got one, I sold my old plasma cutter fifteen years ago for £400, three phase job that had no built in compressor but was built like a tank and wondering what you get for that price today, suppose technology moves on and now laser is current but expensive like plasma once was.

I see that they have a welder as well - has anyone used one/similar ? - any good?
I bought the welder last year and I'm sure it was only £70. It works fine for me. I only dabble at welding making up the odd bracket, a tool rest for the lathe or putting a handle on a bolt. I have the Aldi stick welder too. With that I made a 72x2 belt grinder and the metal frame for netting around our ponds. Could have done it with the Lidl mig if I had it at the time.

AFF22437-6641-40AE-BBEF-F1507FF1B6B4.jpeg

So this happened.

Actually it's for a friend of my son, who has a use for it but couldn't get to a Lidl today

EMC, It's a class A device, which means they couldn't get it to pass Class B. Class A is for industrial use. Class B is for consumer use. Lidl sell into a consumer market, so this is a bit 'iffy'. In absolute terms, there isn't a huge difference between limits. According to the 'rules' this shouldn't be plugged into a domestic supply. (240V low voltage)It may cause interference to yourself or neighbours, but a bit impossible to predict what problems it would cause if any. If you have a pacemaker, I would take advice before using this equipment (seriously).
I guess it is for use on a supply which is locally derived from high voltage, so there is no direct link to public mains. Lidl have covered themselves by putting all the right words in the description. Worst case, If you buy it, it could screws up all your neighbours WiFi, Ethernet, power line distribution, people with pace makers dropping at your gate and aircraft falling from the sky, but I suspect it will probably be OK and the EMC failures are just small amounts above the class B limit. Declaring class A us usually the very last resort when you can't achieve Class B and you have run out of time to launch the product.

Last edited:
They are just covering themselves in that the internal electronics generate all sorts of interference and the machine does not include effective filtering. The reference to low voltage is just a way of identifying domestic installations. I would be very surprised if it is not fitted with a 13amp plug. - check before you buy
No it comes with an “industrial” 16A commando plug, which I believe means if you plug it in with an adapter and use it at full whack will blow/trip a domestic 13A ring main?

No it comes with an “industrial” 16A commando plug, which I believe means if you plug it in with an adapter and use it at full whack will blow/trip a domestic 13A ring main?
Sooner or later it should. May be immediate. May take a while. It all depends on how the plasma demands current.
Our 13A fuses take a little while to blow at only 16A. They'll get hot first, so in fact it's not a good idea to try and use one of these on an adapter to a 13A plug. .
Lidl are German. German domestic power sockets are 16Amp rated and use a schuko round pin plug/socket. The 16A blue CE plug is a good equivalent for those but of course it's not intended for common domestic uses.

Latest posts

Back