Plaque

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
No, not the stuff on yer teef, but a plaque I decided to make as a little present for one of our close-ish neighbours who produces some quality wine, quite a lot to be precise :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

He's such a nice bloke and has just started, 6 years back, after he retired (?) and had never made wine before. Really good stuff! One of the places he sells his wines from is one of our local roundabouts which has become a mini market for local traders. I thought he might like a nice sign to go on his 'trading table'? Could you imagine the GB knick knicks alowing a local trader to sell booze on a r/about? Power to his elbow and he does it totally legally!

Villepeyrouxplaque1.jpg

Villepeyroux2.jpg

I've posted it here because the blank was turned from a slice of beech from our wood pile and I didn't just want a 'flat bit of wood'. I wanted a nice simple plaque with the corners tapering slightly in thickness. This is the first bit of turning since the operation on my right wrist and boy was it good to feel that spindle gouge in me mits again. 9 weeks and VERY careful 8) 8)

Edit : - I had meant to mention that when I was finishing off the plaque I went to use my JSP full face dust mask while I buffed it on my Beal system. I took it out of the part closed storage box and noticed there was some damage to the front head band inside the cap. It turned out that a bleedin mouse has been using it as its home while I haven't been able to get into my workshop! It had crapped and peed all over the inside of the peak/face guard and around the inlet for the fan! and chewed the foam around the flow checker. Well, I said 'GOLLY GOSH' at least twice and had to take the whole mask to bits and throughly wash/clean it out. The mask comes to bits very easily and wasn't difficult to clean out so thank you JSP for such a good designe.

I'll check the mouse trap in the morningh and I don't need to say that the storage box will be kept firmly closed when not in use now1 :oops:

verrr nice. two questions,
1. how do you keep the colour from bleeding outside the lines? and
2. is he a close enough neighbour to run a pipe and have your own tap :wink:

nev":lg2nklsr said:
verrr nice. two questions,
1. how do you keep the colour from bleeding outside the lines? and
2. is he a close enough neighbour to run a pipe and have your own tap :wink:

The colour normally stops at the burn line

I should have said a bit more.

The colour is the first time I have ever used any with pyro and it was done with a red permanent marker. It didn't 'bleed' even when it was put on a test piece without the pyro lines. BUT it did run when I put the celulose sanding sealer, so I used a fine brush both with the sanding sealer and the melamine laquer to do the red and careful application with a larger brush for the rest.

Secondly. Unfortunately he lives about a mile away, so no pipework possible, but when we take our own 3 litre glass bottles he robs us by charging 1.50€ a litre :shock: We can get wine in the local coops for about 1€/ltr but it isn't as nice.. He does 4 single ceepages, just one type of grape, and the merlot and cinsaut wines are lovely 8) 8) 8)

He exports a fair bit of his wine to England for "Naked Wines". So even you lot could try at least one of them?? This is the one you can get, if they still have any. http://www.nakedwines.com/wines/le-clos ... tm?filter= Some of the comments are quite amusing..

I get mine cheeeeeper 8) 8) 8) 8) The one in the web site comes in at 6.50€/bottle and we just have it for special occasions. well we have to splash out sometimes :shock:

Between you get in chape wine ,the Brits getting all the bleeding medals at the Olimipks ,the poor mouse being evicted from its new home because some gob shout for got to put the lid on the box ,Its good to see you back at work . =D> =D>
Thats a great plaque and my guess is that the poor man will have to plant more acreage to help pay for it :twisted: If you don't mind I am going to try and make a copy of it ,I don't expect your to be as good as mine but we'll see. :lol: :lol:
As I am typing this the Brits have won another medal for dressing up or something :roll: :roll: and on horse back as well :shock: :shock:

Nice to see you back in harness.

Its a huge surprise to see you making something connected with wine as your first piece after your rest.

Thank you for your kind comments. The harness is a VERY light one for a while yet Gordon and after I had just turned the blank I'd had enough. Funnly enough the pyro was not a problem and I found it very enjoyable just to have something to burn. well, it's too warm here for a fire :roll: :roll:

Got to keep in with the wine producers mate!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back