Planting shrubs adjacent to pavement. Advice sought.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a small piece of ground adjacent to the footway, next to my house. The mini-plot is about twenty-five feet by six feet, and surrounded by a 15" high wall.
I just had it cleared of self-sown bushes and other weeds, and I am having a membrane, and some bark chippings put down.

I want to plant some Berberis to deter the local 'wild-life' from sitting on the wall, while they consume their beer. (In the mistaken belief that my garden is part of the outdoor smoking area of the pub next door! :twisted: ) I thought if they weren't going to be comfy there, they might move on and not litter the plot with glasses, beer cans and dog-ends of 'spliffs'; or whatever they call those ciggies rolled in newspaper. :?

I had thought of the red coloured Berberis, and for greenery some Hebe. I would like to plant some pyracantha, but I wouldn't be able to keep that in check so easily.

I want the thorniest Berberis I can find, but also a variety that won't go rampant and overhang the footway too much.
The Hebe I would like is the variety that grows into a medium sized, tidy mound, to act as a ground stifling plant.

Any advice would be welcome. (As long as it doesn't involve putting chicken manure to produce a deterring smell! Good idea, but not permanent enough!

I want to landscape the adjacent lawn area a little too, so when the weather brightens, I'll post a pic; for some ideas on low maintenance shrubs and conifers.

Thanks in anticipation.

John :D

whiskywill":1iadwkog said:
Berberis thunbergia atropurpurea makes a good hedge. it doesn't grow too large or too quickly and it is a nice colour.
I had this hedge as a deterrent to the local yobs and it works very well. The thorns are vicious but it trims very well and is easy to control but wear strong leather gloves when you trim it.

Advice on planting distances at https://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog ... hedge.html.

Regards Keith

Why not pyracantha? It's a bit less rapid growing than Berberis, the thorns are more robust and it makes a tidier hedge, IMHO. Probably easier to control than Berberis, not less so.

Pyracantha!

I have one in the back garden Dick. It's pretty rampant, and needs a careful eye. I don't want to fall foul of the neighbours' wives'! I think I can just about manage the clippers on Berberis. Otherwise I have to pay someone to do a regular clip. :)

I'll get some welding gloves Keith. Thanks... :mrgreen:

Back