Planning your woodwork

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sketchup is a wonderful bit of software - the learning curve's relatively unintimidating and it's not the straight-jacket that most drawing programs are.

On the other hand, a nice pad of plain paper and a pencil is what I use for sketching. Somewhat geekily I like wooden pencils, because sharpening them with a knife is the kind of mindless activity that gives the inspiration particles most chance of hitting my tiny wee brain (with all due respect to Terry Pratchett).

Roger, proper planning of projects through sketching and working drawings is your statement of intent-- the route you intend to follow. Diversions that have to be made are made due to unforseen circumstances.

As in route planning, if you don't know where you're journey begins-A, and you have no clear idea of where you're going to- B, how do you know which roads to follow to get from A to B? Slainte.

For me it depends on what I'm building, for what purpose etc. If it's a peice that's relatively straightforward and built for purpose (e.g. workshop cabinet) then I just play it by ear and see what I end up with.

However, for "proper work" (that'll end up in the house, given away as presents etc.) I do like to plan abit beforehand. This is more to do with assessing the design and asthetics, but it also helps in understanding where the gotchas will be when I build it.

I use a CAD package (TurboCAD) in order to visualise it in 3D. However, as others have said, the learning curve is rather steep, and I do lose abit of time "learning up" again every time I go back to it.

I do find it invaluable for turning work though - I'm abit of a novice turner, and don't have enough experience of turning to be able visualise what a peice will look like, what's going to be good proportion and not. I therefore tend to render them in CAD first which helps (and also gives me a 2d profile to work to).

The profile is drawn in 2D, and then revolved into a 3D object in TurboCAD which can then be rendered. For example...

TurboCAD_Example.jpg

I would definitely suppoort TurboCAD as a good, cheap, CAD package. I have used professional packages costing many tens of thousands for years and find that I can do 80% or more of the same things in TurboCAD for a few tens of pounds!

Aaah - space chalk - of course :shock: :shock:

Thanks Ian - I shall try to overcome my fear and enter a Toys R us at some point soon.

Tony - unless I'm much mistaken Turbocad is a little bit more than tens of pounds £490 odd at the Turbocad site - which is a lot more than Sketchup. I know Autocad etc are thousands but its still a fair amount of cash.

T

I'm firmly in the 'Plans? What plans?' camp other than for home renovations, although I have been known to draw a concept sketch from time to time. Actually, most of my sketches were done after the build so I have a record of what I built! In reality most of the things I build are small and other than a few tricky joints quite simple ( a box is a box isn't it?) so much of what I do is in my head and I fit the design to the material at hand. For example, if the nice offcut is only 15cm long and I was planning a 17 cm box, I make a 15 cm box instead. I can always make a 17cm box another time...

For serious home renovations I use Autosketch. I have version 2 and version 8. Version 8 is complex and has lots of bells and whistles. Version 2 comes on floppy disks and is really easy to use. You can guess which one I use.

tim":20fouwx5 said:
Tony - unless I'm much mistaken Turbocad is a little bit more than tens of pounds £490 odd at the Turbocad site - which is a lot more than Sketchup.

Tim,

I have just bought Turbocad v9 from Serif Select for ~£20. :D
One off the current release, I have loaded it but not drawn any thing yet. Need to look for the safety line and chalk dust. :wink:

Tim,

You were also looking at the professional version, which you wouldn't need. Much of the functionality (including 3D modelling) is included in the standard/deluxe version, which can be picked up for about £60 in the shops. I actually looked at Sketchup previously and thought it was rather expensive for what it was (but I must confess I haven't used it).

Martin.

...but having said, I've just had a peek at the Sketch-up web site again and it does look impressive.....However, I'd be hard pushed to justify £300 or so...

Martin.

tim":a5axeoua said:
Aaah - space chalk - of course :shock: :shock:

Thanks Ian - I shall try to overcome my fear and enter a Toys R us at some point soon.

Tony - unless I'm much mistaken Turbocad is a little bit more than tens of pounds £490 odd at the Turbocad site - which is a lot more than Sketchup. I know Autocad etc are thousands but its still a fair amount of cash.

Last copy I purchased was about £60 a couple of years ago and was mightily impressed

I have never used Sketchup but know people who find it too limiting for woodwork - and it costs several times the cost of TurboCAD

Just saw that Dave got it for £20 from Serif - I buy a lot of softweare from Serif and highly recommend thier Desktop publishing package 9v10)

DaveL - I'm thinking of joining SerifSelect and I notice that if I am referred by a 'friend' then said friend (ie you :wink: ) gets a free gift. Your post alerted me to this company so......Just need your membership number if you want would like to do this.

or you can PM me.

Cheers

Roger

Tony,

TurboCAD pro or Delux are indeed £450+. Hoever, a quick look on Amazon.co.uk for turboCAD threw up TurboCAD Standard at £55.69. Any help?

I use Turbo Cad v10 and its very good. I dont use it in 3d mode though , just for plan, side elevation etc drawings.

I tried a few and this one suits me the best and im still learning everytime i use it because there is so much to it but find that if i just use what i need im fine.

I think i got mine from Amazon for about £60

Jase
Coggy

Many thanks to you all for the suggestions. For my part, I'll probably stick to sketching it out on a piece of graph paper and then visualising all the joints in my head...then measure as we go.

Latest posts

Back