Planning permission obtained from SWMBO

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary H

Established Member
Reaction score
Still trying to get the 'woodshack' watertight in
As you may or may not have seen in another post, I've just finished a decking area for SWMBO (or TPTB- The Powers That Be - as she is endearingly known to me :wink: ). Upon completion she was rather chuffed and guess what?? Can't guess?? Okay then here goes..

WOOHOO!! She's given me planning permission to extend my workshop!!

Okay this may not seem a great deal to some, but if you knew how beloved to her the garden is, you'd understand! Maybe you do? :wink:

No more fighting with myself in a 6'6" square workspace, and i can finally find a permanent home for the bench drill, router table, small (cheap :oops: ) table saw, bench sander etc. which reside under the worktops ATM.

Not had chance to draw up any firm plans yet, so I'll update and post some as and when I can. Daresay i'll be needing plenty of advice too as this will be a self-build, from raw materials job due to the space available. And my empty pockets :cry: . I'm sure you guys will provide all I need :wink:
Basically I'll be retaining the 7-ish sq/ft structure and extending off the front of it by 12'6"x5ft width.

Sorry if that was a little self-indulgent, but I had to get it out of my system. Okay, I'm fine now if only I could stop this darned itching...

Waiting..
Gary

Congratulations!!!! It's hours of fun planning and building, and having suffered in the small space, you'll really really appreciate the step up!

Adam

Gary,

This is no help at all. My LLW (Lovely Lady Wife) positively does not want a deck because she has seen too much of Tommy Walsh and his nail gun - I have a nail gun too! I do however want a bigger shop and if I were to sacrifice some of our rather large garden, I could make one. Trouble is with no deck to tempt her, what do I use? I made the mistake of producing some quite large furniture out of my small shop so logic is not applicable -was it ever with women? (Sorry Alf).

Diamonds never were this girl's cup of tea, so I am really stuck.

Any way, many congrats - you will surely appreciate the space and fill it so fast that you will truly not know how you managed in the smaller shop.

Gary,

Congrats! I know too well the tendency for TPTB to put the garden before the obvious claims of the workshop so I understand your jubilation. :D

Cheers, Alf

Well able to see logic in all the usual places thankyousoverymuch, Mr Knight :p :wink:

waterhead37":ybv0rnqw said:
Gary,

This is no help at all. My LLW (Lovely Lady Wife) positively does not want a deck because she has seen too much of Tommy Walsh and his nail gun

-snip-

Diamonds never were this girl's cup of tea, so I am really stuck.

You could try other items of wooden garden furniture. Try pergolas, large arches, swinging chairs and the like.

A women that doesn't like diamonds? :shock: You don't know how lucky you are. Those QVC programs are much worse than those horrible house doctor programs. :wink:

Thanks for all the congrats, folks. 8) Planning has already begun and I'll post some sketches and such as soon as I get something down on paper. Then I'll appreciate any ideas/feedback you all might have. :wink:

Thanks again and, once more..WOOHOO! :D

Gary

Use the search facility - LOTS! Type in things like

workshop...electrics...insulation......floor.......lights.......waterproof....moisture....damp.....fans......dust....extraction.....windows.....security.......

(one at a time like) - youll get loads of information.

Adam

Gary

Surely not doing this just for the mortiscing attachment?

Congrats, you'll feel lost in their for a while.

I take it you'll have finished it by the time I arrive?

Waka