Planning Application Objection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We’re going through final drawings preparation at the moment; nothing out of keeping with the type of property or village but simply to make our home more internally usable.
When we were going through the beauty parade to chose one of three architects recommended to us, the first one sat down and before we’d even outlined what we’d like said “I can tell you now you’ll get objections when the plans go in”.
Being new to the village I asked why and was told with a shrug that some will object for the sake of it and the primary reason seemed to be they simply didn’t like change to an area where they’d lived for 30+ years.
He added that the planners rarely took notice and recognised spurious or vexatious objections but what it did do was put in my mind to go on a charm offensive with our neighbours and mention our intentions before sharing the fuller plans.
I think on the basis of courtesy this helps as there could be disruption to them when there are deliveries or the work is underway plus helps ease any issues if they arise and where you may need their help although I appreciate your neighbour isn’t actually there full time.
Sadly, we can’t expect everyone to be of the same mind as us and we all have to try and get along (sometimes through gritted teeth) but I certainly share your frustration and hope it’s resolved soon. I suspect as others are encouragingly saying, you’ll be ok and if there are stumbling blocks, there are normally solutions and compromises.

I was checking the planning application I have in for my 10m x 5m brick and block workshop with a pent EDPM roof. I have noticed my next door neighbour has put in an objection based on flooding risk, being in keeping with the currrent dwellings and the view from the road. Will this have an adverse effect on the application? And, more importantly why didnt he just come and talk his concerns through with me. He doesnt even live there its his second home. Grrrrr!!!!!

Do you already have a workshop, and have the neighbours experienced you using it when they use their second home? Got me wondering if there was more to the raising of objections than the basic planning issues they've raised. A fear of noise when they've come to relax, or some such. I'd definitely have a chat with them as soon as you get chance, to talk through their concerns. I had a similar concern with a neighbour when building an extension, and was lucky to be able to find a solution that worked for all parties.

No current workshop, everything is in storage pending the new build. it was partly for noise consideration that I went for fully insulated brick and block construction rather that a large timber workshop - which would be MUCH cheaper.

No current workshop, everything is in storage pending the new build. it was partly for noise consideration that I went for fully insulated brick and block construction rather that a large timber workshop - which would be MUCH cheaper.

That could be a reason then, even though you've already tried to mitigate. If they've enquired about objecting to noise, then they will have hit a "brick wall", as that's a post build issue, as far as I remember. How often are they at their second home? Would it be easy to overcome with a consideration agreement? It may be nothing of the sort though, of course - but the more solutions you have with you when/if you do get chance to speak, the better.

I agree with @Puggers and also think the Planners often get an undue hard time.

Planning Policy is laid down at a national and local level and this is what they judge applications against. The report wiritten by the Planning Officer normally is quite precise in covering their rationale. The stories of the planners allowing x but not y often have more aspects to them than first meets the eye and will each have had to be justified against these policies.

The person putting in the planning application will obviously think what they are doing is okay as they are getting the benefit of the improvement which they have traded off in terms of loss of outlook, sunlight or other downside. The neighbour on the other side of the fence often has no benefit but possibly a loss of perceived benefit (whether a legal entitlement or not). The Planners are caught in the middle.

I have generally found Planning Officials to be reasonable.

I have sent an email requesting contact details of the planning officer to see what if anything additionally needs to be considered for the application. Keep you posted.

I remember years ago a friend faced the same problem when he requested permission for a workshop, the council refused permission. He then submitted the plans but called it a garage and it passed. He then worked in it without any problem. The double doors turned out to be very useful. If noise is the real issue I would think they would have had that as the main objection.

I have a reasonable amount of experience dealing with planners. It is best not to fall out with your neighbours over this. It would be a good idea to talk to them as already mentioned on here. They did not object to a similar application by their other neighbour so why yours? Also have a relook at your plans. Is it in keeping with your house and what does it look like from the road, will it add to or detract from the value of your property. Perhaps it is the EPDM roof rather than tiles that they are objecting to. Obviously talk to the planners as you have said.

All I am saying is try to find out what it is your neighbours are objecting to, and add see if you can accommodate them. The planners will decide based on planning law, local plan etc. and from what you have said I doubt your neighbours objection will have any effect on the outcome. Try to be objective rather than emotional and if possible avoid falling out with your neighbours.

Noise will go out through the roof as well so may need some insulation in the roof for noise/heat.

Perhaps noise is what the neighbours are concerned about and you are spending a lot of money to mitigate it. Perhaps if you had called it a garden room or something similar there would be no problem.

I don't know how big your garden is, but if you need planning (rather than building control) then it's probably quite a large percentage of your outside space or you live in an area or building in an area where your building is thought to impact your neighbours. A 5 X 10 metre building implies near commercial premises and I don't think it's unreasonable for neighbours to be worried about noise or the view. They aren't obliged to talk to you and may not want a confrontation so preferred to go directly to the council. As others have said, did you consult with them first?

We have built 2 extensions on our house over the last decade or so. The first time, we discussed with neighbours before submitting and the problem with that is that some neighbours will disagree with anything you submit. Then you end up submitting and already knowing they don't agree with what you are suggesting (approved anyway). The second time around, we submitted and told the neighbours the day we submitted along with a copy of the plans. We did not wait for their opinions before submitting.

We applied few years back I have spent 30 years on this stree growing up as parents are 2 doors Down so no all the neighbours never had a problem with anyone when I app for planning there was a a letter with 9 people objecting (mother duckers) could not believe it I went to see everybody and asked ? Long story short it’s done 🖕 the main ringleader was an retired ex Counciler no longer with us so don’t think it’s they listen to others it’s just a box ticking exercises
So I have a single garage in the back witch I won’t to knock down and build a double ? For a work shop

I remember years ago a friend faced the same problem when he requested permission for a workshop, the council refused permission. He then submitted the plans but called it a garage and it passed. He then worked in it without any problem. The double doors turned out to be very useful. If noise is the real issue I would think they would have had that as the main objection.
Yes. I was advised not to call my double garage a workshop at any time. They don't like giving permission for pits, either.

Excellent news, I too know only too well the wait and worry as it grinds through the planning process. Such a relief when you get the sign of.
look forward to the WIP

Back