Planning Application Objection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
I was checking the planning application I have in for my 10m x 5m brick and block workshop with a pent EDPM roof. I have noticed my next door neighbour has put in an objection based on flooding risk, being in keeping with the currrent dwellings and the view from the road. Will this have an adverse effect on the application? And, more importantly why didnt he just come and talk his concerns through with me. He doesnt even live there its his second home. Grrrrr!!!!!

I was checking the planning application I have in for my 10m x 5m brick and block workshop with a pent EDPM roof. I have noticed my next door neighbour has put in an objection based on flooding risk, being in keeping with the currrent dwellings and the view from the road. Will this have an adverse effect on the application? And, more importantly why didnt he just come and talk his concerns through with me. He doesnt even live there its his second home. Grrrrr!!!!!
im sorry to hear that.

sadly you cant choose your neighbours.

Objections are rarely taken into account these days so I wouldn't worry too much. Neighbours of ours put in a planning application and the planning officer visited me, I talked through my concerns and almost none of them would have mattered, even a major loss of privacy isn't considered these days. Luckily there was an issue that meant the council themselves objected and that put a stop to the plans right away.

im sorry to hear that.

sadly you cant choose your neighbours.

we only moved in last September and the neighbours have been very friendly and welcoming, thats why I dont understand why a (socially distanced) chat was not forthcoming. Nowt funnier than folk I guess.

we only moved in last September and the neighbours have been very friendly and welcoming, thats why I dont understand why a (socially distanced) chat was not forthcoming. Nowt funnier than folk I guess.
I understand your frustration but did you share the plans with them before submitting them to see if they had any concerns?

As above, It may have taken them by surprise.
One of our neighbours objects to all applications in the village. Some don't like change or veiws affected, often they have justifications.

The planners require objections based on planning law. They sometimes appear to make it up though. Flood risk is a planning consideration but normally when people want to build on a food plain. The amount of water comming from your new roof is not going to increase its just a matter of ensuring it is not flowing onto your neighbours property. If there is a genuine risk of this it is relatively easy to address with guttering and soak aways.

People throw in objections on the off chance, I wouldn't take it personally. All my neighbours objected to our chapel conversion but we are all friends now, except the arris hole who orchestrated the objections but effed off. He was selling up and thought we might jeopardise his sale.
Actually he lost about £250k but that was because he effed about so long he hit the 2007 recession! Nothing to do with us but it kept us laughing !

Your profile says Norfolk Broads - are you in a National Park, AONB or Conservation area?
Are you in an area subject to flooding and would your shed really affect drainage? I'm guessing not, so I wouldn't worry unduly about that. The effect on views from public viewpoints like the road could be a concern, especially if you're in one of the areas I mentioned.

An EPDM roof is a great technical solution and allows you to have a shallow roof, but it might be seen as out of keeping - again, in the public realm and in a more protected area, the hurdle would be higher.
You could contact the planning officer and see if, in the light of the neighbour comments, there is anything you could/should do to modify the application to improve your chances of success - they should give you some idea of the weight they give to the objections, and how you could possibly overcome them prior to 'determination' when they make the formal decision on your app.

With hindsight you would have been better to consult with your neighbours first - you might have been able to make changes to take account of their concerns, or at least show willing.

My mother put in planning for a bungalow on her land years ago which was turned down because of the risk of its flooding. They gave at the same time permission for a development on the other side of the road (which was higher) for lagoons holding water .......... 60,000,000 galons ........... which were deemed not to be a flooding risk.
At the same time they refused a three bedroom bungalow as the road couldn't handle the increased traffic .................... the development they gave permission for necessitated a forty ton truck in and out every three minutes 24/7.:dunno:

It always appears that planning permission is granted on the whims of individuals and committees. Is there general guidance published, so you can say, I met x, y and z criteria, so am am entitled to move forward with my plans? Moreover is there some form of ombudsman body to whom one can raise objections with bad planning decisions, either rejection of reasonable proposals or acceptance of poorly conceived developments. Without a reasonable amount of transparency and oversight it seems like a system which invites abuse.

It always appears that planning permission is granted on the whims of individuals and committees. Is there general guidance published, so you can say, I met x, y and z criteria, so am am entitled to move forward with my plans? Moreover is there some form of ombudsman body to whom one can raise objections with bad planning decisions, either rejection of reasonable proposals or acceptance of poorly conceived developments. Without a reasonable amount of transparency and oversight it seems like a system which invites abuse.
They have fixed terms of reference and "local plans" etc. If they are doing it wrong you can argue the case. You might get help from a local councillor or have to employ an architect/town planner. Estate agents might be able to recommend your local expert.

My parents had a similar thing when they applied for building work to be done. The lady next door who they have known for 25 years and get on well with, wrote a quite lengthy objection ( it was actually mostly nonsense and I think she had it written by someone who thought they knew a thing or two, but was mistaken ).
Never said a word to them in person while chatting over the garden wall or anything.
I do not think she realised that my parents would ever see it, she thought it was annonymous or something, perhaps your neighbour thought the same.

I doubt it will actually make a difference to the application, the planners can generally do as they please and have no legal requirement to uphold objections.

Ollie

.... the planners can generally do as they please and have no legal requirement to uphold objections.

Ollie
They have to take notice of objections but can reject them if they don't involve specific planning rules.

Jacob

I think there is a threshold for obvious village busybody and sleighted neighbour, I suspect these go sraight in the bin.

Jacob

I think there is a threshold for obvious village busybody and sleighted neighbour, I suspect these go sraight in the bin.
You never know they might have hit on a planning issue by chance!

Is there anyway you can ask the planning commission how you can go about proving there will be no flood risk. Drainage plan by a qualified engineer for example?

Pete

Is there anyway you can ask the planning commission how you can go about proving there will be no flood risk. Drainage plan by a qualified engineer for example?

Pete
Yebbut cost a bomb. "Flood risk" wouldn't be just a opinion it would have to be part of the agreed local plan and well publicised

Thanks for all the replies and support, I will have a chat with the neighbour and see if that helps, common sense says all should be well but I will email the planning department today and seek some guidance.
Another little gripe is that the neighbours the otherside of the objectors have put in a similar size application and desighn to extend their garage along the objectors boundary - no objections to that, perhaps my face doesnt fit..... yet!

Thanks again all.

Back