Planning a kitchen build for next year

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshjosh

Established Member
Reaction score
the+grain+of+the+cherry+veneer+on+this+run+is+particularly+striking.jpeg
Hi I'm currently designing, planning and budgeting for a kitchen I'm building next summer for my house. The layout is very simple, two runs of floor cabinets that return into a chimney breast . One side will have 3 banks of drawers and a corner unit, the other side will have space for a dishwasher, sink, washing machine and corner unit. Either side of the chimney I'm planning wall units in the alcoves and above the bank of drawers I'm making an open set of shelves. I want to make the kitchen from scratch including the units which I'll be using b/b grade birch ply for. The doors, drawer fronts and end panels will be a mixture of painted and cherry veneered similar to the design attached
I intend to produce a WIP once the project is underway but in the meantime, I wondered if any one with kitchen building experience had any advice? I also had specific questions .
1 what finish would you recommend for the cabinet interiors?
2 what finish for the veneered doors?
3 what paint for the painted doors?
4 would you use factory cut veneers or shop cut?
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks Josh

Attachments

• the+grain+of+the+cherry+veneer+on+this+run+is+particularly+striking.jpeg
    the+grain+of+the+cherry+veneer+on+this+run+is+particularly+striking.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 202
Attached

Attachments

• veneered+birch+plywood+modern+kitchen+design+brixton.jpeg
    veneered+birch+plywood+modern+kitchen+design+brixton.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 173
You will probably get lots of different opinions, all valid, but here is my two penneth worth.

1) Cabinet interiors - Blackfriars quick drying varnish

2) Exterior- Osmo or Blackfriars as above

3) Paint - I have never been brave enough to paint anything, but if you look at Peter Millards YouTube channel there is a lot about spray paint finishing.

4) Veneers - when you say factory or shop cut, are you veneering the ply yourself?

Mrs C":297pgrrl said:
You will probably get lots of different opinions, all valid, but here is my two penneth worth.

3) Paint - I have never been brave enough to paint anything, but if you look at Peter Millards YouTube channel there is a lot about spray paint finishing.

4) Veneers - when you say factory or shop cut, are you veneering the ply yourself?
Thanks I'll look into black friars
Yes I've seen Peter Millard's videos and based off those in thinking I'll get a cheap hvlp and give tikarrila helmi 30 a go, just wondering if it'll be durable enough
My plan was to veneer myself as I want to have handle cut outs in the doors and drawers so my plan was to lip ply in cherry and then veneer over that so that when I router the finger pulls you get cherry running through instead of the ply

I have the £30 sprayer Peter mentioned on his channel and it's excellent - I managed to great finish with Dulux quick drying eggshell, it's really smooth and even. And this from a complete spraying noob (I've only ever rattle canned a few things before).

Joshjosh":2d8jzrqb said:
Mrs C":2d8jzrqb said:

Thanks I'll look into black friars
Yes I've seen Peter Millard's videos and based off those in thinking I'll get a cheap hvlp and give tikarrila helmi 30 a go, just wondering if it'll be durable enough
My plan was to veneer myself as I want to have handle cut outs in the doors and drawers so my plan was to lip ply in cherry and then veneer over that so that when I router the finger pulls you get cherry running through instead of the ply

Won’t the lipping need to be several inches deep to ensure that you rout into that and not the ply?

Good to hear about the sprayer
Yes I was going to make the top lipping deep enough to router

Back