Planing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, I am slowly getting my head around this woodworking malarchy.

I agree totaly with that old adage, you get what you pay for.

Bearing in mind what you have all said I think that my best plan of action is to carry on using the tools at my woodworking class (record planes). The advantage of this is that they all sorts of sharpening solutions and the tutor is regularly stressing how important keeping things sharp is.

There are a few more important tools I could do with before I shell out on planes. i.e chisels.

Shady":26jcojsq said:
...I'll send you it for a beer token or something. It won't fulfil your wildest fantasies, but it'll show you what a tuned plane with a properly sharpened blade should do...

Very nice offer Shady. I applaude both the sentiment and helpfulness of this offer.

You made my day :D

Aaaargh - and of course, MikeW is just making us drool with his Avatar - a nice example of a modern woodie (did you see the picture of Steve Knight's hand the other week? His chisel slipped, and proved its sharpness by allowing him to need about 6 stitches... :( )

Shady":1owep5bz said:
Aaaargh - and of course, MikeW is just making us drool with his Avatar :( )

heh heh heh... :twisted:

I do live rather close to Steve. We've, uh, exchanged several things--my dollars for his planes.

Feels kinda one-sided come to think about it :cry: . Seriously, he is a very generous person. Great ethics and sincerely wants to make a great product.

Now if I could only sharpen as expertly and as quickly as he can...

Oooh. This brings back painful memories of my first plane. I had this same problem many years ago and a friend suggested a hand plane to make the joints flush. I went to Sears and bought bought a shiny Craftsman jack plane. Knowing absolutely nothing about how sharp the blade should be or how to adjust the plane. I proceded to take divots out of my nice oak coffee table.
I gave the plane to a neighbor and bought a belt sander :oops:. It was years before I touched a plane again and by then guidance was much easier to come by thanks to the internet.
The point is, please get some practice on scrap before touching any plane to your project!

Latest posts

Back