Planing / thicknessing tips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giff

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on planing / thicknessing. I've had a Record PT for a couple of years and have now have replaceable knives as I found it really difficult to set up the originals. I have been planing some beech which is quite cupped and twisted but seem to be getting a taper at one end...about 1.5 mm over a 1200mm length. I am going to re-check but think the knives are all at the same height measured from the out-feed table. I think it is my technique but not sure what I am doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Geoff

Thanks Mick I think that may be the problem as when I fitted these replaceable knives I set them lower than the standard ones as they are quite thin . I will check this tomorrow.Thanks for the help. Geoff

I set my knifes simply by laying a couple of sheets of A4 paper (gives about 0.0015") on the in-feed table then slide an aluminium ruler on edge across the paper to touch the blades and set them to just level. Doing both sides of each blade is quick and easy and works very well for me. Seems to me its better to set the knifes with reference to the table than the cutter block.

Back