Planing perfect dados

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
I have begun to put together a series of articles based on the new Veritas Combination Plane. This is not intended as a review, but rather as a how to set it up for use. The methods used should be transferable to other similar planes.

In this article I focus on planing the perfect dado. For contrast, I have included the HNT Gordon dado plane as well as the Stanley #46 ...

35a.jpg

The article is too long to post here. Link to my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReview ... dados.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek, for a detailed and useful article. I appreciate how much time is needed to get everything set up and photographed so clearly.

Nice to see new and old planes side by side.

I was a bit surprised to see your guide batten on the left, when you are right handed. Have you tried a direct comparison between left and right or are you just happy either way?

And thanks for remembering that plenty of us call dadoes "housings" especially in the UK!

And thanks for remembering that plenty of us call dadoes "housings" especially in the UK!

Especially in wood and not lumber!!

That's extremely interesting. On one point though the Veritas looks like a winner and that's the cost. The monofunctional (is that a proper word?) but very beautiful HNT Gordon looks like it costs nearly as much as the Veritas but the latter can, obviously, do much more. And given that by all accounts it is better thought out than the Stanley, it looks like the one to go for.

Back