Planing on the radio.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

If you are interested I will be taking on the Saturday Live program on Radio 4 tomorrow some time between 9 and 10. It's about what fun planing is!

Chris

Listened to you in the car on the way down to Peter Sefton`s open day Chris, most enjoyable

The swish of you planing sounded quite loud, did you have to mic up the plane?

Cheers.

Reminds me of the ventriloquist Peter Brough & Archie Andrews, (Entertaining Archie) on BBC radio years back. :lol:
mack

Hi

Doug asked:

I just supplied the words, the BBC edited in the sound effects. Actually the plane doesn't sound quite sharp enough to me!

Chris

Mr T":2prup5r6 said:
Hi

Doug asked:

I just supplied the words, the BBC edited in the sound effects. Actually the plane doesn't sound quite sharp enough to me!

Chris

You mean they paid a man and a bunch of sound technicians to make a sound track imitating you planing, instead of making a few recordings of you actually planing?

No wonder they're always complaining that they're skint and need the Licence fee increased! :twisted: :evil:

It's like this stupid American idea that they've increasingly taken on board over the years, of having an outside reporter standing in Downing St at enormous cost whenever they refer to the P.M. even if the P.M. is halfway round the other side of the World. I realise that the Americans might need a view of the White House to inform them that the subject is the President, but over here? I ask you! :roll:

Sorry chaps got carried away on one of my personal hobby-horses there! :oops:

Hi Tony

You mean they paid a man and a bunch of sound technicians to make a sound track imitating you planing, instead of making a few recordings of you actually planing?

I'm not sure if you're being purposely naive for comic effect or not, but the BBC has a massive library of sounds which they have built up over many years. I'm sure all an editor had to do was search on "planing wood" and they would have had many sounds to choose from. Pity they didn't choose a sharper plane.

Chris

I heard it and liked it. Nice to hear a sensible celebration of enjoying making things by hand. We need more planing on the radio, and the TV and everywhere else too.

Hi Chris, I downloaded the podcast and listened to your eulogy on planing wood. I agree with your comment that the recording they used did not sound like a sharp plane and certainly did not do any justice to the passion you described in your recording.
The sound of a sharp plane is like a whistle or another description, it sings back to you.
For them not to record your planing or not even to let you listen to the recording is, I believe insulting. Does Radio 4 have a similar letter programme such as Points of View?

By the way lovely part of the country. I did my apprentice training in Horsforth, not a million miles away from you.

Good effort Chris, but completely ruined by the BBC sound archive team, perhaps you could record and post the actual sound of your plane planing wood, I would like to hear the difference.

PS I think I also heard a Jigsaw in there (power tool) which was meant to be woodworking machinery.

Hi

Mark said:
Good effort Chris, but completely ruined by the BBC sound archive team, perhaps you could record and post the actual sound of your plane planing wood, I would like to hear the difference.

Apart from the plane not sound quite as sharp as it could be I thought they had captured the atmosphere of a woodworking shop quite well.

I think the reason they would not want a recording from me is a combination quality control and economic. My recording would probably be of not a high enough standard for broadcasting and it would be too expensive to send a recordist out to my workshop to record the sounds.

Chris

I would be intrigued to know how they generated the planing sound.
I can remember, many years ago, seeing a TV documentary about foley artists. The sound of a vulture taking off from a tree was simulated by flapping a pair of old leather gloves together, but the one that amused me most was the sound of polar bears walking in crisp snow, which was produced by squeezing a rubber glove filled with custard powder.

Latest posts

Back