Planing End Grain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Veritas low angle smoother and a L/N 4 1/2 and on oak and maple end grains I can find no difference in the performance. They both give very good results so long as the wood is firmly clamped.

I have to say I prefer the L/N over the Veritas. It feels more comfortable in the hand and is nice and weighty.

Hello,

Planing the endgrain of very hard woods, like well dried oak, ash, black locust, bubinga, blackwood, wenge etc. is a demanding and difficult task: it requires well tuned and sharp tools, and serious physical strength. I am a small man, and my low body weight is a handicap in planing endgrain. I talk about planing wider/thicker pieces, and not glasing bars...

Wood is composed of cellulose and lignin fibres. By saturating them with suitable liquids you could soften/plasticise the fibres. Water would swell the wood, but alcohols (any type: methy-alcohol, ethyl-alcohol, isopropyl-alcohol), turpentine and ligroin would not swell or discolour the wood, and would dry up in a relatively short time.

By the way, Americans are idiots.... they reinvent the wheel all the time, and do make a loud noise about it. Chris Schwarz included.

Have a nice day,

János

James C":2bq6zz7h said:

The main problems is the plane being forced out of the cut when planing Oak. I will try to endure and improve my technique but I used a very sharp iron with a tight mouth and still had problems. ....t.
Forced out of the cut? Trying too hard - the cut should be more of a series of shaves (like very thin potato peelings but falling into dust) and you need a cambered blade for this. Also mouth width has no bearing - it might as well be wide open.

János":3vyt75kn said:
Hello,

Wood is composed of cellulose and lignin fibres. By saturating them with suitable liquids you could soften/plasticise the fibres. Water would swell the wood, but alcohols (any type: methy-alcohol, ethyl-alcohol, isopropyl-alcohol), turpentine and ligroin would not swell or discolour the wood, and would dry up in a relatively short time.

By the way, Americans are idiots.... they reinvent the wheel all the time, and do make a loud noise about it. Chris Schwarz included.

Have a nice day,

János

It's a shame you spoiled a helpful piece of advice with that comment. I've always taken a chew the meat and spit out the bones approach to learning and have found a lot of good advice from the states.

I will have a go with the cambered iron tomorrow Jacob as soon as I get shavings I will get some photos uploaded. You are probably right about the over exertion. I will try light minimal cuts.

Spelking - up this way - simply means splintering and I've had more than my fair share of spelks (Splinters) in my fingers and hands over the years. Ye olde worlde Schwarz mis pronounces ye olde English/Norse word every time and insists on saying spel ching, whereas it should be pronounced Spelking with the ch sounding like a k. :wink:

Here's a link to an online source I've just found which helps explain;

http://thecarpentryway.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... pelch.html

The Yanks do tend to insist on making up their own versions of our words and place names after all :D

GazPal":149etnnm said:
The Yanks do tend to insist on making up their own versions of our words and place names after all :D

That is true. We do the same. Because of the ways that words are spelt vs. pronounced in English leads to some re-bates rather than rabbets and people who don't use a chisel for pair-ing (paring) but instead for parrr-ing.

Also the amount of times I get told I'm using Americanisms when talking about Routers...... #-o

Language evolves in every culture, its not just between the US and UK. They do of course say that we're two nations separated by the same language :)

The fact is that all languages evolve through a number of different mechanisms, regional dialect being just one. I for one have quite enjoyed my journey learning what Norm calls a jointer or the other classic...2 by 4 instead of 4 bi 2

I think it enriches the understanding and makes the subject more three dimensional. I also believe the Americans have some fabulous creative skills with wood and let's also remember much of their housing stock is wood framed. Norm is to woodworkers what The Waltons were to families :)

In the end we all share a deep respect for this incredible natural resource, who really cares how we choose to label it

They have New York, New England etc. maybe they should call it "new spelching" .

Jacob":2msu19o8 said:
the cut should be more of a series of shaves (like very thin potato peelings but falling into dust)

I'll agree with thin cuts, but the shavings will hold together if your plane is sharp enough, and cutting clean enough.

Here's KlausK (of back saw fame) cutting cherry, on a home made skew bladed mitre plane.

P1030628.jpg

A quick google gave:

http://blog.woodworkingtooltips.com/201 ... end-grain/

Nice intact shavings, and a super clean work surface.

BugBear

Thanks BB - that confirms my point about the wood making such a big difference - so one way out for the OP would be to start again, using cherry or walnut instead!

bugbear":1q2anhqy said:
Jacob":1q2anhqy said:
the cut should be more of a series of shaves (like very thin potato peelings but falling into dust)

I'll agree with thin cuts, but the shavings will hold together if your plane is sharp enough, and cutting clean enough.

Here's KlausK (of back saw fame) cutting cherry, on a home made skew bladed mitre plane.
He seems to be planing a mitred surface. This is really easy with any sharp plane, compared to planing at right angles to the grain
A quick google gave:

Nice intact shavings, and a super clean work surface.

BugBear
Hmm. What wood? You couldn't do that with many hardwoods. Even KlausK couldn't do that with his much easier mitre cut.
There are too many clowns out there doing conjuring tricks! Which wouldn't matter, except if you can't do the same you might think it's your own fault, or even that it's time to buy a ludicrously expensive American plane. :roll:

Back